Gender and Sexuality Student Services provides education, advocacy, support, and a safe space for students with marginalized gender and sexual identities (LGBTQIA+) and their allies.
In alignment with our mission to foster a supportive environment for all students, the UIS Gender and Sexuality Student Services values and encourages individuals of all backgrounds and identities to engage with our programs and initiatives.
The mission of the Gender and Sexuality Student Services is to provide education, advocacy, support, and a safe space for students with marginalized gender and sexual identities and their allies at UIS. Gender and Sexuality Student Services presents educational, cultural, and social opportunities for all students to challenge intolerance and promote affirmation in an effort to create a more inclusive and affirming campus climate for those with marginalized sexual and gender identities.
Education • Advocacy • Support
As part of the Diversity Center and Division of Student Affairs, we work closely with other entities in the division and across the campus to provide the most appropriate service and support to students.
The offices and Rainbow Lounge are located in the Student Life Building, Suite 22, attached to the Diversity Center. Hours of operation are typically M-F, 9AM-5PM. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to schedule a meeting. The main office phone number is 217-206-8316.
Points of Pride
- Rated the #3 most LGBTQ Friendly College/University for 2018-2019 by Affordable Colleges Online.
- Our Tenth Anniversary was in August 2017
- Our peer education program, InQUEERy, is the only peer to peer educational and scholarship program at UIS.
- The Safe Zone / Brave Space program has over 300 active people at UIS who have participated in workshops, with more than 100 Safe Zone Certified members on our campus!
- The annual Closet Door on the Quad event on National Coming Out Day (October 11) has become an indelible part of the UIS campus culture.