- In the event a utility failure occurs during regular working hours, notify the Office of Physical Planning and Operations, 6-6530.
- If there is danger to the building occupants, or if the utility failure occurs after hours, on weekends, or during holidays, call UISPD at 6-7777 or 911.
- Notify emergency personnel of persons with disabilities who are in the building and need help to evacuate.
- In case of fire, do not use elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 150 yards away from the affected building. Keep the walkways clear for emergency vehicles. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the UIS Police Department.
All buildings are equipped with an emergency light system that will provide enough illumination in corridors and stairs for safe exiting. Individual departments may wish to have flashlights available.
If you are trapped in an elevator, activate elevator alarm and/or use the emergency telephone, which will automatically put you in contact with the UISPD. Never attempt to exit an elevator stopped between floors.
Vacate the area. Do not switch on lights or any electrical equipment. Remember, electrical arcing can trigger an explosion! Notify UISPD at 6-7777 or 911 and the Office of Physical Planning and Operations at 6-6530. Do not smoke, light matches, or lighter. Do not return to the evacuated building unless directed to do so by the UIS Police department.