Safety at the Office
- Do not give out personal information while at work.
- If working after hours, inform the UIS Police Department at 6-6690. Keep your door locked. Ask for ID before admitting persons.
- Do not inform others that you are alone. If you have an active order of protection, notify UISPD.
To design a personal protection program for your office, contact UISPD at 6-6690.
Safety in the Car
- Park in well lighted areas and have your key ready to unlock your vehicle. You may wish to carry a cellular phone in your vehicle.
- Check the back seat of your vehicle before getting in. Make sure no one is concealed in your vehicle.
- Keep doors locked at all times. If your car breaks down, raise the hood, put on emergency lights, and lock doors. Wait for someone to stop (staying in your locked car) and ask them to call the police or a tow service.
If You Are the Victim of a Sexual Assault
Look for situations that you can exploit to your advantage. Your primary objective should be to survive the attack and avoid serious injury to yourself.
Take notice of the characteristics of your assailant including his habits, surroundings, contacts, speech and mannerisms. This information is important for the police in trying to apprehend the criminal. call 6-7777 or 911.
If you have been sexually assaulted, do not shower, bathe, douche, or destroy any clothes you were wearing. Do not disturb the area where the assault occurred. If you change clothes, put clothes in a paper bag and take them to the hospital or police station for evidence. It is best not to change clothes. Seek medical help. Be sure to get medical attention for injuries and tests for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy.