Hiring Procedures / How to Post a Student Employment Job
All departments wishing to hire student employees will no longer be required to complete an RPS form, you will need to register with CareerConnect to post your position.
Using CareerConnect departments will post all student employment positions for at least 3 days and at least 3 candidates must be interviewed before anyone can be hired. This allows everyone an equal opportunity to apply for positions. CareerConnect will collect all resumes for student positions.
Four Easy Steps for Hiring Undergraduate Students
- Register as an employer in Handshake. (Requests reviewed by Financial Assistance)
- After you have received your CareerConnect Logon ID and password, log in to Handshake and post your position.
- Sort through the collected résumés and contact the students whom you have selected to interview.
- After you have selected your student(s) to hire, complete an Undergraduate Student Employment Checklist with the student(s) and have them bring it to the Office of Financial Assistance. Once the Checklist is approved, the departmental Front End processor will be notified to Initiate a New Hire or Add a Job (for students currently employed) in Front End.
- During their first week, please assist your new hires with the completion of their forms. Payroll cannot be processed until all new hire forms are completed.
- If you are hiring a student who is currently employed on campus, please contact the other employer(s) and coordinate with them to ensure student does not exceed weekly hour limit.
- Federal regulations require that no student begin working until their I-9 process is completed.
Other Resources for On Campus Employers
Student employment positions are required by state law to pay at least $12.00 per hour beginning January 1, 2022.
- Timesheet (pdf)
Student Employment is located in the Human Resources Building, Room 30.
Supervising Students Resource
From Career Development
- Register for UIS CareerConnect (pdf)
- Post a Student Employment/Work Study job in UIS CareerConnect
- Track your hires and remove the job posting (pdf)
From Student Life
*Adapted with permission from the Graduate Assistantship Program