The University of Illinois Springfield is guided by the U of I System policy on intellectual property as set forth in the General Rules of the University of Illinois, Article III. The policy can be found at:

Technology Management

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs works closely with the UIUC Office of Technology Management to assist faculty and students in developing, disclosing, patenting, and licensing inventions and other intellectual property.

They can also help with Material Transfer Agreements.

Students and faculty can also obtain free memberships with Innovate Springfield, part of UIS’ Hub of the Illinois Innovation Network. At Innovate Springfield, members receive entrepreneurship training to incubate businesses and innovate to solve social and government issues.

Other Intellectual Property Agreements

Material Transfer Agreement

Moving research materials to or from the University in order to be utilized by an external collaborator may require a contract in order to protect the intellectual property.

Contact the UIUC Office of Technology Management to develop a Material Transfer Agreement with the outside entity.

Submit completed agreement to for routing and approvals.

Non-disclosure Agreement

Also referred to as a Proprietary Information Agreement or Confidentiality Agreement, this is an agreement that is used to protect the disclosure of information that a party deems confidential or proprietary

Non-Disclosure (Confidentiality) Agreement template (doc)


Please use the Contract Approval Routing Form to submit the agreement for signatures. We can accept electronic signatures.

For further instructions on how to create your own digital signature with Adobe Pro, please follow the link provided for a short tutorial video offered by Adobe.

To create an electronic signature through Microsoft Office.

*Note: Unsigned documents, including those with only typed signatures, will not be processed.

Please contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Pre-Award staff for assistance with completing and routing the form.

Software and Data Agreements

These agreements should be for incoming software or data related to research only and should come with no fee other than shipping costs.

– Software License or Data Use Agreements that require payment to the provider should be submitted to OBFS Purchasing Department.

If you have received a zero-dollar Software License or Data Use Agreement from an external collaborator, use the electronic form below to submit to ORA for routing and approvals by Pre-Award.

For help with these agreements or questions about processing, please contact us.  We can help develop Data Use Agreements for sharing with external collaborators.

Data Use Agreement template (doc)


The Federal Demonstration Partnership Data Stewardship Committee

UIS Purchasing:, (217) 206-6651, BSB 106.

For more information, contact:

Bruce Sommer
Director of Economic Development and Innovation
UHB 4074
MS UHB 4060
(217) 206-6712