- Schedule an appointment to meet with the Director of Study Away Programs to review your proposed study abroad program and to go over the application procedures.
Phone: (217) 206-8319
- Schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor to review your progress towards your degree and your proposed study abroad program. If you are interested in having coursework transfer to your major you will need to have your department review your proposed courses.
- Fill out the Global Experience Program (GEP) application.
- Arrange to have an official transcript of your college/university course work sent to Study Away Programs.
- Obtain two Letters of Recommendation.
- Upon acceptance you will be asked to fill out and sign three additional forms:
- acknowledgment-of-risks (Adobe Sign)
- A Financial Agreement Specific to the program for which you are applying if you are applying for a UIS short term program.
- GEP Signature Form (Adobe Sign)
- academic advisor,
- director of financial assistance (if you are applying for aid),
- the Dean of Students or proxy,
- and self
- If you are applying for a non-UIS program you will also need to submit the application for that program. This will be forwarded to the program by Study Away Programs along with your transcript, relevant letters of recommendation and an official letter from Study Away Programs certifying that you have been approved to study abroad on that program
- Global Experience Travel Scholarship Deadline is Feb. 7th for all summer, fall and spring programs. GEP application must be turned in to Study Away Programs by Feb. 7th in order to be eligible for the travel scholarships.
- Summer programs – March 1st
- Fall programs
ISEP and NSE priority deadline Feb. 7th – UIS exchange programs March 1st
All other programs March 1st
- Spring Programs
ISEP priority deadline Sept. 1 – UIS exchange programs October 1st
All other programs October 1st
Special note on NSE applications – Each March NSE holds a conference of all member institutions where students are placed for the following academic year (fall semester, spring semester and full year). In order for students to be considered for the March placement they must submit to Study Away Programs their UIS Global Experience Program application listing their top 4-5 choices by Feb. 7th. Placement after the conference is possible. For more details please contact Study Away Programs.