As the focal point of policy development and political activity, the Illinois General Assembly is an exciting arena to experience state government first-hand by working as an Illinois Legislative Staff Intern with the legislative leaders who will shape public policy in Illinois for the next decade.
For over sixty (60) years, the Illinois Legislative Staff Intern Program (ILSIP) has provided unique internship experiences for keenly interested, deeply motivated and talented individuals to work within state government. With the Capitol as both workplace and classroom, ILSIP interns earn four (4) graduate credits from the University of Illinois Springfield.
Funded by the Illinois General Assembly through the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability (CGFA) and administered by the University of Illinois Springfield, ILSIP grew out of a desire to provide individuals with diverse experience and backgrounds, insight into the legislative process. The program offers interns a ten (10) month, full-time position as a professional legislative staffer working with either the Illinois General Assembly or Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability. Interns also participate in an academic seminar conducted by UIS faculty.
The ILSIP experience is intended to broaden the perspective of those planning academic, business or government careers so that they will carry into their chosen fields an understanding of the legislative process and how it relates to their work. In addition to providing interns exposure to the legislative process, the program provides legislative leaders with research and other professional staff assistance.
After completing this program, many interns continue working in state government. Others gain employment at other levels of government, attend law school, or pursue opportunities in the private sector.
- Total number of annual placements – 24
- Five (5) legislative analyst positions with each of the four partisan leadership staffs
- Four (4) research positions with the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability (CGFA)
- Length of appointment: 10 months (September 1 to June 30)
- Stipend: $2,500 per month
- Requirement: Undergraduate degree completed prior to start date.
- Location: Springfield, Illinois
- College Credit/Tuition/Fees: Interns receive four (4) hours of graduate credit in Political Science for completing the program. Associated tuition, mandatory University fees, and textbooks are provided by the program. All interns are required to complete the ILSIP academic seminar in the fall term.
- Health Insurance: Interns are eligible for student health insurance with the premium paid by the program.
- Backgrounds preferred: All academic majors are welcome.
- Application Deadline: All materials must be submitted or postmarked by March 15.
- Interviews Scheduled: To be announced
- Final selection/placements announced: To be announced
Application Deadline: March 15
Still accepting applications for the following unfilled positions - Senate Republicans (3), House Republicans (4), and Senate Democrats (3) to start December 2022/January 2023 through June 2023.
Download the Illinois Legislative Staff Intern Program Brochure.
- Team Effort - Interns Win!!! - The Capitol Connection/Blog - December 16, 2021
- Paid Legislative Internships – February 10, 2022
- Best Kept Secret - No More - The Capitol Connection/Blog - February 17, 2022
- Pursue a Legislative Internship: Former Interns Share the Perks – February 17, 2022
- Finding a Legislative Internship in Illinois (Springfield & Chicago) – February 18, 2022
- UIS Perspectives: The best kept secret - no more/The State Journal Register February 27, 2022
- Pursue a Legislative Internship: ILSIP Application Q & A – March 1, 2022
- How to get started inside of the halls of power/Community Voices NPR Illinois - March 17, 2022
- ILSIP Interviews - Round #2 - The Capitol Connection/Blog - May 19, 2022
Application Questions Contact
Illinois Legislative Staff Intern Program
Attn: Barbara Van Dyke-Brown
Office of Graduate Intern Programs
University of Illinois Springfield
One University Plaza, MS BRK 475
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407