Next GIS workshop: Saturday, 4/24/2021 (Virtual) (Registration Open)
Register for the workshop. Registration closes at 6 pm on 4/22.
Theme: Mapping COVID-19 Using ArcGIS Pro.
Audience: Beginners, anyone interested in spatial data visualization, mapping, and analysis.
Date: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM on Saturday, 4/24/2021.
Format: Virtual GIS Workshop via synchronous Zoom session.
Cost – Payable online at the registration link. Payments are non-refundable.
- $5 – Active Students (UIS or Other Institutions)
- $40 – UIS Faculty or Staff Member at UIS
- $80 – No current affiliation with UIS
(Note: If you are a UIS student who took ENS 404 Fundamentals of GIS in the past 2 years or are in the Graduate GIS Certificate, you can attend this workshop for free. Do NOT use the registration link to register — send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest. Make sure to include your UIN in your email.)
The workshop will cover the basics of displaying, querying, and sharing geospatial data using ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Story Maps. Participants will learn the following.
- Fundamental Concepts of GIS
- What is GIS and what is ArcGIS Pro
- Types of geospatial data
- Displaying geospatial data
- Display and manipulation of geospatial data
- Effective map design
- Web-based GIS and Story Maps
- Cloud-based ArcGIS applications
- Creating and sharing ArcGIS Story Maps
How to get a copy of ArcGIS Pro
To follow hands-on tutorials in this workshop, you need to have ESRI ArcGIS Pro installed on your computer prior to the event. We will be using the current version of ArcGIS Pro for the workshop. Please note that ArcGIS Pro is only compatible with Windows computers.
- If you are affiliated with the University of Illinois (UIUC, UIC, or UIS), you can get a copy of the software from the U of I Webstore. See instruction.
- If your organization has an active subscription with ESRI ArcGIS, you should be able to get a copy of the software from your IT department.
- Otherwise, you can sign up for a 21-day ArcGIS Pro free trial.
2020/11/14 – Mapping COVID-19 Using GIS. Virtual Workshop.
2020/02/25 – GIS Workshop titled “An Introduction to GIS and Its Applications in Public Health” at Southern Illinois University – School of Medicine.
Interested in future workshops or have a GIS workshop idea?
The Geographic Information Systems Laboratory is interested in hearing your ideas for a GIS workshop tailored to address academic or professional GIS needs for the UIS community and Springfield area. Please fill out this future workshops form if you want to be notified of future workshops or have any suggestions for the workshop!
For more information, please contact the GIS Lab at (217) 206-8403, or email email@example.com.