An active threat is defined as any incident which by its deliberate nature creates an immediate threat or presents an imminent danger to the campus community.
Only follow these actions if it is safe to do so. When in doubt, follow your instincts – you are your best advocate!
If the Active Shooter/Active Threat is inside your building:
- Remain calm
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Leave your belongings behind
- Keep your hands visible
- Immediately exit the building via the safest possible route, away from the threat if possible, and seek refuge away from the immediate area inside another building.
- If you cannot evacuate, find the nearest location that provides safety, barricade/block doors by any means possible, shut off lights, move to an area of the room where you cannot be seen and keep quiet. Put your cell phone on silent mode.
- As soon as it is safe to do so, notify authorities by calling 911.
- DO NOT open the door until a KNOWN law enforcement officer advises it is safe to do so or some other credible information, such as UIS-Alert, is received advising the threat is over.
- Fight as a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger. Act with physical aggression, throw items at the shooter or attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Commit to your actions…your life depends on it.
If the Active Shooter/Active Threat is NOT inside your building:
- Remain calm
- Find the nearest location that provides safety.
- Close and lock doors; if doors cannot be locked, barricade/block the door with anything available.
- Do not open the door until a KNOWN law enforcement officer advises it is safe to do so or some other credible information, such as UIS-Alert, is received advising the threat is over.
For more information about this subject please contact the UIS Police Department at 217-206-6690.
The University has implemented an emergency notification system called UIS-Alert. To receive UIS-Alert notifications, register with your personal contact information. This system will be used to notify you of imminent threat to health, life and safety.