Application Deadline: January 15
The following minimum admission criteria must be met for full consideration for admission into the Advanced Generalist Master of Science (MS):
- Baccalaureate degree with an upper-division major in nursing from a CCNE or NLN accredited program OR a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in a field other than nursing plus an RN license.
- License to practice as a professional nurse in at least one political jurisdiction. Although an Illinois license is not required for admission, many specialties do require an Illinois license to facilitate clinical placements.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. Applicants with less than a cumulative 3.25/4.00 GPA in their baccalaureate (or higher) degree are required to submit GRE scores by the application deadline. Cumulative GPA’s are pulled directly from the transcripts submitted. Courses taken after a baccalaureate (or higher) degree has been earned will not be calculated into the cumulative GPA for the GRE waiver.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00/4.00 in the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the first baccalaureate degree.
- Introductory courses in statistics and research (or equivalent) to be completed prior to beginning the MS program. Most applicants will have met this requirement while completing the BSN degree.
- Qualified applicants may be contacted by faculty to schedule an interview (with advanced notice). Not all applicants will be chosen to interview.
The UIC considers any student who currently holds a visa of any type or is seeking a visa to be international. Even if you do not require a student (F or J) visa to attend UIC, you are viewed as an international applicant. Most policies which apply to those seeking student visas will apply to holders of other types of visas. Please visit the Office of Admissions International Requirements webpage for details on all additional admission requirements and processing.
International applicants licensed in a political jurisdiction outside of the U.S. must also request the Validation of Registration/License Report from CGFNS.
If admitted and upon submitting an enrollment deposit, all students are required to provide proof of current nursing license and documentation of immunizations, background check results, drug screenings, HIPAA training, CPR certification. Please visit the College of Nursing Practicum Requirements webpage for specific requirements for each program. All immunization and compliance requirements must be met prior to registering for courses. Additionally, New Student Orientation is required of all newly admitted students. Orientation information and details will be included in the admissions packets from the College of Nursing.
International applicants: The UIC requires all admitted international students to submit detailed financial statements before a Form I-20/DS-2019 can be processed. These statements should include the amounts and sources of funds available for educational expenses in the United States equivalent to their first year’s tuition and living expenses. Please visit the Office of International Services webpage for more information.