Addendum C – Procedures
Procedures for Establishing and Maintaining Websites on UIS Web Servers
- If you wish to set up-or edit-an academic program, department, unit, or Student Organization website, please contact your division’s Web Liaison.
- If you wish to set up a personal-faculty, staff, or student-website, please see the procedures.
Read below for more specific information.
- Overview of Website Governance
- Procedures for Establishing and Maintaining an Official Unit Website
- Acceptable Use
- Guidelines Regarding Outside Organizations and Space on a UIS Web Server
- Procedures for Establishing and Maintaining a Personal Web Account (Faculty, Staff, Students)
Overview of Website Governance
UIS division heads are responsible for appointing Web Liaisons who are responsible for overseeing all unit websites in their divisions, and for assuring the accuracy of all content in unit websites.
The Division Web Liaisons, the UIS Website Developer, the UIS Web Server Administrator, and a representative from the the Office of Campus Relations compose the Campus Web Team, and govern all matters related to the UIS website.
Requests to edit an official unit website should be submitted to the appropriate Web Liaison. Please remember to include the name and NetID of the individual when the request is made.
Personal websites for Staff, Faculty, and Students may be established in accordance with procedures noted at the bottom of this webpage.
Procedures for Establishing and Maintaining an Official Unit Website
If you wish to set up or edit a department, unit, or student organization website, please contact your division Web Liaison.
- Each Web Liaison in each UIS division forwards to the Office of Web Services a list of official unit websites and their Editors and Authors. Status as an official unit website that resides on primary web servers is based on accurate informational content, as well as consistency with campus website objectives. Changes to the list of approved websites, and their Editors, Authors should be submitted by the Web Liaison to the the Office of Web Services department on a timely basis. Web Liaisons may use this link to access a form to formally request permission changes to websites. Explanations of the roles of Editors and Authors are noted in the Definitions section of the UIS Campus Web Policy. Student Organization websites are governed by the Student Affairs division. Requests to establish or edit a Student Organization website should be submitted to the Student Affairs Web Liaison.
- Upon receiving a request from a Web Liaison regarding a new website, staff from the Office of Web Services contacts the designated Editor of the website. Read more about creating a new website for your department or unit.
- The Office of Web Services conducts regular reviews of each official unit website to assess consistency with campus website objectives. The Office of Web Services may or may not request changes to websites based on the objectives and guidelines contained in the Campus Web Policy.
- When the Office of Web Services receives a change to the Editor and/or Author personnel of a unit website, OWS will arrange for any necessary training, and will arrange for permission to access the campus Web Publishing System. The department/unit website Editor will then receive access to edit the website.
Access to campus web accounts is a privilege, not a right. Individuals who violate policies and procedures contained in this document or in other official university documents may have their web account privileges suspended or terminated.
In some cases, UIS may host the website of a professional, academic, nonprofit organization that is affiliated with one of our faculty or academic staff members. See the Outside Organization Guidelines adopted by the Campus Web Team on December 1, 2003.
Faculty and Staff Web Accounts
Faculty and staff who are employed by UIS may contact UIS Technical Support at 206-6000 to request a personal web account and permission to access the account.
- This account may be used by the employee, but only in accordance with the policies and guidelines contained in the UIS Web Policy and in the policies of the Information Technology Services department.
- Critical department website files, such as department databases, photo collections, etc. may not reside in personal web accounts.
- Faculty web accounts may contain files used for specific courses they are teaching.
- Course-related materials to be placed on the web should be placed within the campus Blackboard environment or on a faculty member’s personal web account.
- The primary campus Web Server (i.e., www.uis.edu) may not be used for course materials.
- Personal web accounts may not use official UIS web themes.
Student Web Accounts
All students who are officially registered for classes at UIS may request a personal website and permission to access the account.
- Student web accounts may be used by students only in accordance with the policies and Guidelines for Student-Created Websites that Reside on UIS Web Servers and any other policies adopted by the Information Technology Services department.
- Critical academic program and administrative department website files, such as department databases, photo collections, etc. may not reside in student web accounts.
- Personal web accounts may not use the official UIS web themes.