Department of Chemistry
Welcome to the 2016-17 academic year from the Chemistry Department.
June 22, 2016
The Illinois Board of Higher Education has approved our new Biochemistry major! We will begin enrolling students in this major Fall 2016 (in just a couple months). Look for curriculum details under curriculum – Biochemistry Major.
Ashley Bowers ’16
Hometown: Elgin, IL
Began a PhD in Chemistry Fall 2016
Ashley loves to volunteer! At the University of Illinois Springfield, she’s a member of the Leadership for Life service organization, which gives back to the Springfield community. She’s also the Chemistry Club Treasurer, and a math lab tutor. She recently spent a summer interning with the U.S. Department of Energy at the Argonne National Laboratory. She chose to come to UIS because of its friendly atmosphere and small class sizes.
Leadership is lived at UIS. Every day.
- Dr. Layne Morsch was invited to give a talk titled “Flipping Organic! Active learning in organic chemistry through iPads, iTunes U and ChemWiki” at the 2016 Biennial Conference in Chemical Education in a symposium on Active learning in organic chemistry. (Aug 2016).
- Dr. Layne Morsch presented a poster titled “Lights, Camera, Science Action” at the 2016 ISTE(International Society for Technology in Education) along with colleagues and fellow Apple Distinguished Educators Rhoda Hahn and Maggie Mabery. A website was created to share the materials with other instructors (June 2016).
- Dr. John Martin was part of a major collaborative team that recently published an article in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (March 2016).
- Dr. Harshavardhan Bapat leads the team that brings kids to the UIS campus for Camp Invention (June 20-24, 2016) for a second year. They are encouraged to explore STEM fields with fun and creativity.
- Read a recent (2016) article published in Peptides by Dr. Stephen Johnson.
- Dr. Keenan Dungey (along with Dr. Michael Lemke from Biology) have written a chapter titled “Mike and Keenan’s Excellent Emiquon Adventure” in the book Chemistry for the Curious: Why Study Chemistry. published in 2016 from The Curious Academic Publishing Co., Canberra (AU).