University of Illinois Springfield
Welcome to the University of Illinois Springfield.
Every year, approximately 5,000 students enroll to earn a U of I degree where classes are small and professors really know their students.
At a Glance
- Calendar: Semester
- Colleges: Business and Management, Education and Human Services, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Public Affairs and Administration
- Research Funding: Approximately $7 million annually
- History: Established in 1969 as Sangamon State University by the Illinois General Assembly. On July 1, 1995, became a campus of the University of Illinois, thereafter known as the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- Location: Southeast side of Springfield, Illinois, near Lake Springfield. Approximately 200 miles southwest of Chicago and 100 miles northeast of St. Louis.
- Campus: 746 acres
Total enrollment: 5,431 (fall 2014)
- Undergraduate students: 3,038 (56%)
- Graduate students: 2,393 (44%)
- Full-time: 53%, Part-time: 47%
- Male: 51%, Female: 49%
- Undergraduate: 27
- Graduate: 33
- African-American – 11.7%
- Hispanic: 4.8%
- International – 15.2%
- All other – 68.3 %
Where students come from:
- Illinois: 70.9%
- Out of state: 14.2%
- Foreign countries: 14.9%
Faculty and Staff
- Full-time faculty: 215; part-time: 162
- Full-time staff: 533
- Academic Professionals: 224
- Civil Service: 309
- Part-time employees: 269
- Student employees: 411
- Graduate Student Interns/Assistants: 274
85+ student clubs and organizations.
Member NCAA Div. II, Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC)
Intercollegiate athletic teams:
Baseball; men’s/women’s soccer, men’s/women’s tennis, men’s/women’s basketball, men’s/women’s golf, softball and volleyball.
1,074 students reside in campus housing.
UIS has more than 34,000 living alumni located throughout the world.
24 bachelor’s degrees, 20 master’s degrees, 1 doctoral program. Online majors: 1,689
Top enrolled programs:
- Computer Science
- Public Administration
- Management Information Systems
- Educational Leadership
- Business Administration (MBA)
Achievements and Accolades
- US News & World Report – America’s Best Colleges 2015 ranks UIS among the top ten public regional universities in the Midwest.
- The College of Business and Management is accredited by the AACSB, a distinction earned by less than 5% of business schools worldwide.
- UIS alums comprise 28% of the college-educated workforce residing in Springfield.
- UIS and its students and alumni add $176 million to the local economy annually.
UIS FY 2015 Budget: $88.8 million
(15 credit hrs.)
|Fees & Assessments||$3,006||$3,006|
|Room & Board||$10,700||$10,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,200||$1,200|