About the University of Illinois Springfield
Welcome to the University of Illinois Springfield.
Every year, approximately 5,000 students enroll to earn a U of I degree where classes are small and professors really know their students.
- Meet the Chancellor
- Contact an Administrator
- Meet our Faculty
- UIS Economic Impact Study
At a Glance
- Calendar: Semester
- Colleges: Business and Management, Education and Human Services, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Public Affairs and Administration
- Research Funding: Approximately $7 million annually
- History: Established in 1969 as Sangamon State University by the Illinois General Assembly. On July 1, 1995, became a campus of the University of Illinois, thereafter known as the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- Location: Southeast side of Springfield, Illinois, near Lake Springfield. Approximately 200 miles southwest of Chicago and 100 miles northeast of St. Louis.
- Campus: 746 acres
Total enrollment: 5,428 (fall 2016)
- Undergraduate students: 2,959 (55%)
- Graduate students: 2,469 (44%)
- Full-time: 56%, Part-time: 44%
- Male: 52%, Female: 48%
- Undergraduate: 26
- Graduate: 31
- African-American – 11.5%
- Hispanic: 5.7%
- International – 20%
- All other – 62.8%
Where students come from:
- Illinois: 67%
- Out of state: 13%
- Foreign countries: 20%
Faculty and Staff
- Full-time faculty: 220; part-time: 129
- Full-time staff: 514
- Academic Professionals: 210
- Civil Service: 304
- Part-time employees: 247
- Student employees: 414
- Graduate Student Interns/Assistants: 383
85+ student clubs and organizations.
Member NCAA Div. II, Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC)
Intercollegiate athletic teams:
Baseball; men’s/women’s soccer, men’s/women’s tennis, men’s/women’s basketball, men’s/women’s golf, men’s/women’s cross country, men’s/women’s track and field, softball and volleyball.
1,032 students reside in campus housing.
AlumniUIS has more than 35,000 living alumni located throughout the world.
31 bachelor’s degrees, 20 master’s degrees, 1 doctoral program. Online majors: 1,665
Top enrolled programs:
- Computer Science
- Business Administration
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Computer Science
- Public Administration
- Management Information Systems
- Business Administration (MBA)
Achievements and Accolades
- US News & World Report – America’s Best Colleges has ranked UIS among the top ten public regional universities in the Midwest for each of the past nine years.
- The College of Business and Management is accredited by the AACSB, a distinction earned by less than 5% of business schools worldwide.
- UIS alums comprise 28% of the college-educated workforce residing in Springfield.
- UIS and its students and alumni add $176 million to the local economy annually.
UIS FY 2017 Budget: $88.8 million
(15 credit hrs.)
|Fees & Assessments||$3,212||$3,212|
|Room & Board||$9,700||$9,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,200||$1,200|