Welcome. The UIS Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan provides worldwide coverage for our students. Dependents are also eligible for coverage at an additional cost.
Please visit AHPcare.com/UIS to see the brochure for detailed information about the student insurance plan or to look for in-network providers.
Please Note: Students enrolled in only online courses are not eligible for student insurance.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: Exemption forms beginning with the Spring 2014 semester will be done online through a website provided by the new Student Insurance provider, Academic HealthPlans. All UIS students will need to file their enrollment or exemption annually for each plan year that starts with the Fall semester. If you have had an exemption on file for a previous year or have submitted a paper form for the 2013-14 year, you will still need to complete the online enrollment/exemption process.
- If you have registered for classes within the last ten days, your log in information may not yet be active. Please try again in one week. If you continue to experience difficulty logging in to complete your waiver, contact us.
Online Insurance Waiver Process:
- Have insurance card and school ID# (Banner UIN) ready
- Use link below for Academic HealthPlans and click “waive online” in the Enrollment column
- Enter your Banner UIN as the Student ID information
- Enter your birth date as the Password format MMDDYYYY
- Click the link below “Submit Waivers”
- Waive the student insurance plan by completing the waiver form and submitting your insurance information.
- Confirmation of insurance verification will be sent to you by email.
Student Health Insurance Fees per semester for the 2014-2015 School Year
Fall Semester (August 16th, 2014 through January 9th, 2015): $410
Spring Semester (January 10th through May 31st, 2015): $410
Summer Semester (June 1st through August 15th, 2015): $225
Exemption Deadline for Summer Semester: June 15th, 2014 (absolute deadline).
Exemption Deadline for Fall Semester: September 26th, 2014 (absolute deadline).
The Fall 2014 waiver process will not be available until mid to late August. If your UIN isn’t accepted upon your first attempt to waive the insurance coverage, please try the system again at a later time. If you experience difficulties, please contact the plan administrators or AHP to help resolving your issues. NOTE: Although the waiver may be available to complete on the AHP website, your enrollment information may not be updated until a later point. Enrollment information is updated as it is received from student accounts and registration.
If you have already submitted and received confirmation of exemption from student insurance, you may still receive an insurance card from BlueCross Blue Shield of Illinois in the mail. Please shred it. This is just a timing difference and does not mean that you will be charged or guarantee coverage.
Student Health Plan Coverage Dates
- Spring semester coverage dates: January 10 – May 31
- Summer semester coverage dates: June 1 – August 15
- Fall semester coverage dates: August 16 – January 9
UIS Student Insurance
Human Resources Officer
Amy M. Gurnitz
Human Resources Representative