Department of English and Modern Languages
The UIS Department of English and Modern Languages offers majors in English on campus and in English online with minors in English and Spanish. We also offer a professionalized M.A. in English with two concentrations: Digital Publishing and Digital Pedagogy.
Meet Raven Wilson, an English major doing big things for the UIS community:
- UIS English M.A. alum A.D. Carson recently defended his unconventional doctoral dissertation– a rap album titled “Owning My Masters: The Rhetorics of Rhymes and Revolutions.” Carson has accepted a job as Assistant Professor of Hip Hop and the Global South at Clemson University.
- Our newly designed M.A. is entering its third year. The program has two distinct concentrations: Creative Writing and Digital Publishing or Digital Pedagogy. Meet the students.
- The Alchemist Review, UIS’s student-run literary journal, just celebrated its 40th year as a literary tradition.
- UIS English professor Dr. Meagan Cass won the Katherine Anne Porter Prize for her short fiction!
- The Shelterbelt Creative Writing and Publishing Series is in the process of publishing their first book of poetry. Poet Ada Limón selected the winning manuscript to be published in Fall 2017. For more information, see the Shelterbelt Press Facebook page.
- Our very own Dr. Meagan Cass has won the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences teaching award for 2015-16. Congratulations! Dr. Cass teaches creative writing at the undergraduate and graduate levels in addition to being the faculty advisor for The Alchemist Review and Uproot, our two UIS-based literary journals.
- The new Shakespeare Garden was unveiled on campus September 29, 2016.
- The UIS Shelterbelt Reading Series presents YesYes Books authors Raena Shirali, Lynn Melnick, and Brandon Courtney, and author/editor/publisher KMA Sullivan on Tuesday, October 17 at 7:00–8:30 p.m.
- The UIS Shelterbelt Reading Series presents Kaveh Akbar , author of Calling a Wolf a Wolf and Portrait of an Alcoholic on Monday, November 6 at 7:00–8:00 p.m.
- For more events, please see our events calendar
The UIS English and Modern Languages Department offers:
Competitive Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Master of Arts in English with two tracks:
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching English
- English minor
- Spanish minor
UIS Creative Writing professor Meagan Cass has just won the Katherine Anne Porter Prize for her short story
collection “ActivAmerica,” which will be published in November of 2017 by University of North Texas Press.
Dr. Cass teaches a range of classes at UIS, from women’s literature and feminist theory to creative writing and publishing. Her short fiction has appeared in Hayden’s Ferry Review, The Pinch, DIAGRAM, Joyland, and Puerto del Sol, among other places. She also won the UIS College of Liberal Arts and Sciences teaching award for 2015-16.
UIS unveiled the Shakespeare Garden on September 29, 2016, marking the 400th anniversary of the poet and playwright’s death. The garden features a life-size bronze sculpture of Shakespeare on a bench admiring his surroundings. Located in the Patton Park area of campus, the garden is just north of Brookens Library. Read more about the unveiling, or see more pictures.
To learn more about our department, our mission, and what we offer our students, check out our About section.