Department of English and Modern Languages
Our department offers majors in English on campus and in English online, ranked #6 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. We also offer minors in English and Spanish, and a professionalized M.A. in English with two concentrations: Digital Publishing and Digital Pedagogy.
Meet Raven Wilson, an English major doing big things for the UIS community:
- Our very own Dr. Meagan Cass has won the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences teaching award for 2015-16. Congratulations! Dr. Cass teaches creative writing at the undergraduate and graduate levels in addition to being the faculty advisor for The Alchemist Review and Uproot, our two UIS-based literary journals.
- The new Shakespeare Garden was unveiled on campus September 29, 2016. Read more about it here.
- Our newly designed M.A. with two distinct concentrations is entering its second year. Focus on Creative Writing and Digital Publishing or Digital Pedagogy. Read more about it here or meet the students.
- The Shelterbelt Creative Writing and Publishing Series is in the process of publishing their first book of poetry. Manuscripts will be judged by Ada Limón. For more information, see their Facebook page.
- Our website has been recently updated. Look around and see what’s new.
- February 2: Winter Dreams, an evening of original poetry read by members of Springfield Poets and Writers and music from local chamber groups. Light hors d’oevres and cash bar included. See our Facebook event page to join the guest list!
- March 1: Visiting Writers KMA Sullivan and Justin Phillip Read (Shelterbelt Reading Series)
- March 1: Application deadline for our MA in English with concentrations in Digital Publishing and Digital Pedagogy
- April 20: Visiting Writer Ross Gay (Shelterbelt Reading Series)
- For more events, please see our events calendar
The UIS English and Modern Languages Department offers:
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Master of Arts in English with two tracks:
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching English
- English and Spanish minors
- Student involvement opportunities including:
UIS unveiled the Shakespeare Garden on September 29, 2016, marking the 400th anniversary of the poet and playwright’s death. The garden features a life-size bronze sculpture of Shakespeare on a bench admiring his surroundings. Located in the Patton Park area of campus, the garden is just north of Brookens Library. Read more about the unveiling, or see more pictures.
To learn more about our department, our mission, and what we offer our students, check out our About section.