FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Date: October 29, 2001

Contact: Donna McCracken, 206-6716

U of I students may apply for Avery Brundage scholarships

SPRINGFIELD Applications for the 29th annual Avery Brundage Scholarship competition for University of Illinois students who excel in both academics and athletics will be accepted beginning Friday, November 2, through Friday, January 11, 2002. Information and application materials are available at the financial aid and intramural/recreation offices of the Springfield, Urbana-Champaign, and Chicago campuses.

Full-time U of I students, including incoming freshmen, graduate, and transfer students, may apply. Grant-in-aid recipients may be eligible for Brundage scholarships under specified conditions. Academic and athletic competence will be considered over financial need.

Undergraduate and transfer applicants must rank in the top 25 percent of their college, while incoming first-year students must rank in the top 25 percent of their incoming class. Graduate and professional students must be in good academic standing.

Students must also demonstrate Aspecial athletic ability@ in an amateur sport, and their participation must have been for personal development rather than as preparation for professional athletics. Previous winners have represented a wide variety of sports, from archery, tennis, and swimming to wheelchair basketball. Last year, 20 winners were awarded $2,000 each.

Avery Brundage was a 1909 graduate of the U of I who competed in the 1912 Olympics and later served as president of both the U.S. and International Olympic committees. Before his death in 1975, he maintained his interest in the University through service as a member of the University of Illinois Foundation, President=s Council, and Citizens= Committee.

Brundage established the scholarship in 1974 with an endowment to the U of I Foundation of $343,000. In the past 29 years, 602 scholarships with a total value of about $578,500 have been awarded.

At UIS, applications are available at the Office of Financial Assistance, SAB 60, (217) 206-6724 and at the Office of Campus Recreational Sports, SLB 16, (217) 206-6674. For more information, visit