The Office of Undergraduate Education at UIS supports students, faculty, and staff with resources that promote academic excellence and student success from enrollment through graduation.
Students are encouraged to explore how they might discover and follow their intellectual, creative, and professional passions through the variety of degree options available at UIS. Active participation in a bachelor’s degree program can help students develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to become successful in their chosen careers, engaged citizens, and thoughtful leaders in today’s global community and marketplace.
For Faculty and Staff
INSPIRATION can be defined as, “the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.” See the Oxford Dictionary definition of inspiration
In the interest of sharing ideas across disciplines, the Office of Undergraduate Education has created the web page, “UNDERGRADUATE INSPIRATIONS.” UIS faculty and staff members can submit inspirational ideas to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education in the following categories:
- Descriptions of assignments that have been especially effective
- Ideas for new courses
- Insightful completed research, or ideas for research
- Exemplary student work (with the student’s permission)
- Links to videos or podcasts (YouTube, Ted Talks, NPR Podcasts, etc.)
- Links to articles or short descriptions of books (preferably dealing with undergraduate education)
- Campus-wide initiatives
UIS faculty and staff submitting ideas should explain briefly what is being submitted and why it is inspirational to them. Publication on the website is at the discretion of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education. Those “inspirations” posted will be listed chronologically, with the submitter’s name, the relevant URL, and a brief description. Submitters are not limited in the number of items they submit. Criteria for posting include the following:
- The item for consideration is not just informational, but actually inspirational to the submitter
- The item for consideration may be discipline specific, but could have applicability to a wider audience
- The item for consideration supports, in some way, the UIS mission, vision, values, and/or strategic compass
- The item for consideration is appropriate for all audiences
The Office of Undergraduate Education invites you to mark this website as a favorite, and visit it regularly to share and learn about inspirational ideas in undergraduate education at UIS!