Find information on UIS COVID-19 Metric Thresholds & Mitigation Strategies
COVID-19 Saliva Testing for UIS Students, Faculty and Staff
Last updated August 13, 2021
Effective Aug. 13, 2021:
- *NEW* Fall 2021 Testing Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday only. (Closed all other days)
- *NEW* Location: PAC Lower Level
- Before your first visit: Create an account on the SHIELD Illinois/Point n Click portal
- Agency code for Employees: uils-rpiyhcri
- Agency code for Students: uils-s6edywze
All UIS students, faculty and staff who currently learn, live, work or train on the UIS campus—including UIC and UI System individuals—must participate in weekly COVID-19 testing regardless of vaccination status for a one-month “entry testing” period beginning the week of Aug. 16. Compliance with this directive will be closely monitored.
- All on-campus students, faculty and staff who are fully vaccinated are no longer required to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. Fully vaccinated individuals still may participate in testing if they wish, and that decision is completely supported.
- All students, faculty and staff who are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated and have permission to be on campus in alignment with our vaccination policies should begin testing twice per week, at least 24 hours apart (best practice is to test Mondays and Thursdays if possible).
We anticipate our entry testing period will conclude Sept. 16. Once the CRRT announces an end to the entry testing period, fully vaccinated individuals on campus will not be required to test but may do so if they choose.
Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated individuals with approved exemptions will continue to test twice per week as part of their required mitigations.
The free saliva-based testing is for non-symptomatic individuals who are not isolating due to COVID-19.
UIS sends test samples to a certified Springfield lab for processing as part of the SHIELD Illinois program. Testers must set up a Point n Click account for establishing appointments and accessing test results.
Effective May 17, UIS is sending test samples to a certified Springfield lab for processing as part of our transition to the SHIELD Illinois program. This adjustment requires a new method for providing test samples (including a new check-in process and smaller tubes) and a new health portal (Point n Click) for accessing your results.
After establishing your Point n Click account, testers can make an appointment through the portal for the approximate time they plan to visit the testing site; please note, you can visit the testing site any time that day and are not tied to the specific appointment time. The Point n Click portal will produce a QR code to show the testing site staff. If an individual is not able to make an appointment ahead of time and get a QR code, they should visit the testing site and sign in with a staff member.
Results will be sent to an individual’s Point n Click portal within 12-18 hours. Any UIS student or employee who receives a positive test result should self-isolate and await a phone call from UIS contact tracers early the following morning.
SHIELD Illinois Registration Instructions:
COVID-19 Saliva Testing for Community Members
UIS offers SHIELD Illinois COVID-19 saliva testing for members of the community at no charge. Learn more on our Testing for Community Members page.
Type of Test
The UI System-developed test is a saliva-based Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. PCR tests are considered the gold standard—with the highest sensitivity for this type of infection. It can detect the virus in people who are asymptomatic and/or individuals early in the course of disease, which makes it an exceptional screening tool. The PCR test UIS uses has less than a 0.3% false positive rate.
Refrain from eating, drinking, tooth brushing, mouth washing, gum chewing and using tobacco for 60 minutes before submitting your sample.
All staff wear the appropriate personal protective equipment. Social distancing and face-covering requirements must be followed at the collection site. Face coverings may only be lowered to provide the sample.
Results are expected in approximately 18 hours or less. All initial positive tests and failed tests are re-tested to ensure the validity of the result.
If you receive inconclusive results, please retest at your earliest convenience.
UIS Contact Tracing
Contact tracing for UIS students, faculty and staff will be conducted by the UIS Testing Team. Employees and students must cooperate with contact tracing efforts. The UIS Testing Team will reach out to anyone in the UIS community deemed a close contact and direct them to quarantine.
UIS employees can participate in testing during scheduled work hours without loss of pay. To ensure that the operating needs of the college/unit are met, employees should get approval from their supervisor before arranging to visit the testing site.
If an employee receives a positive result:
- The UIS Testing Team will reach out to an employee if they are positive soon after it gets results and tell them not to come to work, or to leave work if they are on campus.
- The employee will be instructed to not to be at work even if feeling fine. Employees must follow all directives to isolate, including adhering to HR guidance for returning to work.
- The employee should not break quarantine or isolation for testing, or go to the on-campus testing site if they have symptoms.
- The employee will be directed to notify their supervisor about their absence and Human Resources about leave options and guidance for returning to work. HR will reach out to the unit leader/supervisor to ensure the employee is not at work.
Contact your direct supervisor and/or Human Resources if you believe an employee is not following COVID-19 protocols.
If a UIS student is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, they should stay home and contact Health Services and/or their primary health-care provider. Symptomatic and/or exposed students should not visit the saliva testing site and instead work with Health Services regarding the need for testing.
If a student receives a positive result:
- The UIS Testing Team will follow up with the student by phone.
- The student will receive instructions by the UIS Testing Team on how to follow UIS protocols for isolation/quarantine.
- If a residential student receives a positive test result after 5 p.m. Monday-Friday or on a weekend, they should contact the Administrator On-Call for the Department of Residence Life at 217-206-8100 to facilitate their isolation process. Similarly, if a residential student receives a call from SCDPH directing them to isolate or quarantine after hours or on a weekend, they should contact the Administrator On-Call for the Department of Residence Life at 217-206-8100.
Students may use an outside vendor for COVID-19 testing at their own expense (as long as they are not breaking isolation or quarantine) and can upload their testing documentation to their patient portal, similar to immunizations. These students should notify Health Services of any positive results.
Any person who believes that a student is not following COVID-19 protocols may contact the Dean of Students.