257 9 things the government sector can do
- Build on civic pride already existing. 83% of Illinoisans rate their community as an excellent or good place to live. Tell people to put this pride to work instead of dwelling on criticism.
- Teach and promote civic skills.
- Provide leadership training.
- Make it easier for people to register to vote.
- Get up to speed technologically. For younger people, this is a primary form of engagement.
- Encourage and recognize employee volunteer involvement and leadership.
- Use your office or conference room as a place for meetings of community groups.
- Educate your employees, members and constituents about public policies related to your issues. Citizens get involved in issues they care about.
- Find ways to involve youth.
From Profile of Illinois: An Engaged State, the final report of the Illinois Civic Engagement Project, University of Illinois Springfield and United Way of Illinois, 2001. It was based on the first statewide survey of civic engagement in Illinois. For 68 recommendations (PDF) on how to get people more involved, see the complete report. Or see http://civic.uis.edu.
Posted on June 10, 2014