Getting Started in the Teacher Education Program
Prior to Admission
You can sign up for three courses TEP 207 Foundations of American Education, TEP 222 Child Development (elementary) or TEP 223 Adolescent Development (secondary), TEP 227 Educational Psychology, and TEP 224 Exceptional Child prior to being admitted to the Department of Teacher Education (TEP). Any UIS student may take these courses. Admission to the Teacher Education Program is not required.
- Admitted to UIS as either a degree seeking undergraduate (no previous Bachelor’s degree) or a non-degree seeking graduate (Bachelor’s degree already earned). Apply to UIS.
- Submit Official transcripts to UIS Office of Admissions
- Visit the Illinois State Board of Education and create an ELIS account to obtain your Illinois Educator Identification Number (IEIN). The IEIN is required on the TEP application.
- Complete the TEP Applicant Information Form.
Note: Application and admission to the Department of Teacher Education is a separate process completed after admission to UIS.
- Achieve and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.50
- Complete a background check form.
- Complete an advising session with a TEP Advisor.
- Complete TEP Orientation, DCFS and Health/Safety Trainings
Requirements to Move from Conditional to Full Admission
- Complete TEP 207, TEP 222/223, TEP 224 and TEP 227
- Complete TEP 305 and 318
- Complete all TEP general education requirements, except Global/Non-Western course
- Achieve and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
Please email the Department of Teacher Education at firstname.lastname@example.org for advising assistance.