About the Student Union
Student Union at UIS
The Student Union is the focal point of campus and student life and is the heart of the university campus, a place where students, along with faculty and staff, can spend time with friends, collaborate on academic and leadership activities, and create an inclusive and welcoming campus community.
The building includes:
- A Student Leadership Center, with spaces for student government, Student Life, and the Volunteer and Civic Engagement Center; Departments
- Multiple lounge spaces, large and small, for use by anyone on campus;
- Diverse dining options and a coffee venue;
- A ballroom/multipurpose room; and
- Office and building function spaces
- LEED Gold Certification – According to the Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) website, “LEED certified buildings save money and resources and have a positive impact on the health of occupants, while promoting renewable, clean energy.” The UIS Student Union is proud to have achieved LEED Gold Certification.
- Energy Conservation – is the decision and practice of using less energy. For example, turning off the light when leaving a room, unplugging appliances when not in use, or walking instead of driving are all ways an individual can conserve energy.
- Waste Reduction & Recycling – Good waste reduction and recycling practices not only save money through reduced purchasing and waste disposal costs, but also influence the future and environmental impacts. Consumers have a responsibility to conserve our natural resources and reduce the amount of waste we dispose of, as well as recycling what is possible
The Student Union has been recognized for its outstanding design. The following architecture awards were made to the Student Union:
2018 Excellence in Design Award – American Institute of Architects Prairie Chapter
2019 Facility Design Award – Association of College Unions International (ACUI)