Forming a Student Organization
Procedures for forming and maintaining a student organization
The University of Illinois Springfield encourages students to form new organizations and maintain currently established organizations.
All student organizations must re-register on a yearly basis. Student Life recommends that student organizations re-register every academic year by Sept. 15th. Failure to register each year by this deadline will result in any existing space requests to be cancelled and the existing webspace to be terminated.
New Student Organizations may form up until March 15th each year. If you are interested in forming a new organization and need assistance, please contact us.
In order to start a new student organization, you must have:
- A current constitution and by-laws with a statement of the purposes and goals. View a model constitution.
- At least FOUR active members that are currently registered UIS students.
- A UIS faculty or staff advisor.
- It is required that the president and treasurer attend RSO Leadership Summit. Additional RSO Workshops are offered at various times throughout the semester.
- Complete the Registration on UISConnection
All student organizations must agree to the following:
- The organization must comply with all University Policies and Procedures as outlined in the Student Handbook.
- All student organization members must be UIS students.
- The organization shall not discriminate against a member or prospective member on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, age, marital status, handicap, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, except as specifically exempted by law.