**The below information is from the 2006-2016 UIS Strategic Plan. For information on the current 2018-2028 Strategic Compass, visit https://www.uis.edu/strategiccompass/ **
Founded in 1970 as Sangamon State University, UIS has strong traditions that include:
- the centrality of teaching;
- lively intellectual and social
interactions among faculty, students, and staff;
- small classes taught by faculty members;
- an emphasis on inter disciplinarity and innovation in teaching;
- a commitment to serving non-traditional as well as traditional bachelor’s and master’s degree students;
- and public affairs as a unifying theme in teaching, scholarship,and service.
Since joining the University of Illinois in 1995, UIS has continued this legacy while adding a residential, integrated, interdisciplinary
honors program for lower-division students, and a doctoral program in Public Administration.
UIS has become recognized as a leader in offering the newest generation of non-traditional students innovative education and individualized faculty attention through select,
high-quality online courses and degrees.