Projects and Initiatives
Opening of ther Sangamon Experience space on the first floor of PAC, Thursday, January 30, 2020.
Main Exhibit Space
Sangamon Experience is excited for our new exhibition space at the University of Illinois Springfield, which opened in January 2020. Our partner, the Sangamon Valley Collection, is continuing to work with us to expand our permanent exhibit space.
The Sangamon Experience is seeking to record and preserve the personal responses of University of Illinois at Springfield students, faculty, and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. While official responses to this unprecedented event will be collected by the University Archives, we want to ensure the inclusion of personal experiences and reactions in our collections. Help us gather this important information by participating in this project.
How to contribute:
- The Sangamon Experience will accept journal and diary entries, emails, photographs, videos, audio recordings, social media posts, and other digital documentation. Materials should document remote learning and work, displacement from student housing, social distancing, self-quarantine, and/or the overall impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the donor.
- All perspectives regarding the COVID-19 pandemic experience are welcome, however, wantonly inaccurate and/or blatantly false materials and information may not be eligible for inclusion. The Sangamon Experience reserves the right to not accept or retain all donations.
The Sangamon Experience is currently only accepting donations from University of Illinois at Springfield students, faculty, and staff.
- You must be the sole creator of the content you are donating.
Please note that, unless otherwise discussed with Sangamon Experience staff, any materials documenting your personal experience will be made available for research at the time this collection is processed.
- Please note that deposited materials created in the course of official University business may be subject to UIS Archives restrictions and will be handled accordingly.
- Anyone who appears in an audio or video recording, including the donor, must sign an oral history release form for any oral histories (audio or video) you donate. The Sangamon Experience will contact you to complete the appropriate paperwork. If the Sangamon Experience does not receive releases from you and all other participants the materials cannot be preserved.
- We advise you to save and submit your personal social media posts as screen grabs (JPEGs). These captures can be created on your mobile device (tablet or smartphone) or computer. This recommendation is based on considerations of the privacy of donors’ personal data that may be included in any downloads of your social media archive from the platforms themselves (e.g.
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), and the rapid response nature of this collecting period.
Please do not donate medical records or official student records (such as completed class assignments).
If you are interested in participating contact: UIS Sangamon Experience firstname.lastname@example.org
Temporary Exhibit (coming 2021)
Every year the Sangamon Experience will have a new exhibit highlighting the heritage of the Sangamon Valley area. The first special exhibit will highlight the 50th Anniversary of Sangamon State University and the 25th Anniversary of the University of Illinois at Springfield. Stay tuned, more exciting information on this project.
Digital Project (coming 2021)
Just in time for Sangamon County’s 200th anniversary the Sangamon Experience will be showcasing the hometown pride of its citizens. Each town in Sangamon County will be represented by 4 items that showcase its past, present and future. This project will explore the culture, commerce, history and people who live in Sangamon Country. Each portion of this project will include oral histories, primary source research discovered at the local level, and photographs from the town’s history and today. Stay tuned, more exciting information on this project.
If your organization, museum or historic site is interested in participating please reach out to us at email@example.com.