Contract Cancellation Request
Under certain unusual circumstances, residents may terminate their contracts before the end of the Academic Year.
The request form is only an application for release from your Academic Year Housing Contract, to be reviewed by the Contract Cancellation Committee (CCC). The CCC meets every Wednesday, with decision notification/email messages forwarded to residents every Friday. A resident is not officially released from their contract until they have received WRITTEN notification/email from the Department of Residence Life (DRL). A resident should never enter into any additional off campus lease agreements until they have been officially notified of their release by DRL.
In order to be released from the legally binding housing contract, a resident MUST fill out the Contract Cancellation Request Form and provide documentation of the reason for the release. A resident must meet one of the reasons for release to be considered for contract cancellation, even if the Contract Cancellation Request Form is submitted before the listed deadlines. A resident is not officially released from their contract until they have received written notification/email from DRL. If the resident is released, he or she may be charged for placement in housing plus additional charges and may forfeit the entirety of their housing deposit.
2019-2020 Housing Contract
Students who submitted an application/contract during the the 2019-2020 Academic Year (this includes the Summer 2020 semester) are bound by the 2019-2020 Terms and Conditions.
Please note, the following are established contract cancellation deadlines as established in the 2019-2020 Academic Year Contract Terms and Conditions:
- Summer 2020 Semester- April 15
Contract Cancellations Requests for 2019-2020 Housing Contracts received after these dates are subject to late cancellation fees.
2020-2021 Housing Contract
Students who submitted or plan to submit a contract for the 2020-2021 Academic Year (starting Fall 2020) will be bound by 2020-2021 Terms and Conditions.
Please note the following are established contract cancellation deadlines as established by the 2020-2021 Academic Year Contract Terms and Conditions:
Request for Cancellation
Residents may request to cancel their Housing Contract by submitting a written Contract Cancellation Request Form to DRL via fax, mail, or email. Understand that only written notification from DRL of a cancellation approval will terminate their Housing Contract.
Grounds for Consideration
Requests for cancellation will only be granted for the following reasons:
- Graduation at the end of the current term;
- Total academic withdrawal/non-registration from all UIS classes (including online courses) for the remainder of the contract period;
- Serious illness, medical or mental health condition which prevents me from attending class in-person;
- Participation in academic-related experiences/internships off-campus and further than 40 miles outside the greater Springfield area;
- Death in the immediate family;
- Call-up or induction into active military service;
- Academic suspension; or
Understand that it is the residents sole responsibility to provide all necessary supporting documentation and sufficient verification of the respective rationale and circumstances to the satisfaction of DRL.
If cancellation is approved, the effective date is the date the Request for Cancellation is approved by DRL. Residents must promptly and properly vacate the premises within forty-eight (48) hours of this date.
Fees & Charges
Residents are responsible for the following fees & charges schedule in the event: that 1) their Request for Cancellation is received by the date noted below and approved in writing by DRL, or 2) if the University terminates the resident’s contract.
- No fee for cancellations on or before April 30 for the fall term (or on or before November 30 for spring term).
- A $100 cancellation fee for cancellations between May 1 and May 31 (or between December 1 and December 15 for spring term).
- A $250 cancellation fee for cancellations between June 1 and August 1 (or between December 16 and January 7 for spring term).
- A $350 cancellation fee for cancellations between August 2 and the first day of class (or between January 8 and the first day of class for spring term).
- A $350 cancellation fee plus 50% of the room charge for cancellations on or after the first possible day of occupancy through the 10th day of class for the semester.
- A $350 cancellation fee plus 75% of the room charge for cancellations after the 10th day of classes for the semester.
- If a resident requests a cancellation due to induction into active military service, cancellation fees will be waived.
- If a resident requests a cancellation due to graduation, cancellation fees will be waived.
- If a resident vacates their assigned space before the end of the contract period without providing notice and receiving written approval for release, the resident will be held responsible for 100% of the contract balance.