Fire Safety Information
Fire Safety is everyone’s responsibility on-campus. Knowing how to use your stove, oven, hood fan, etc can help prevent fires and fire alarms.
Watch our recent Fire Safety Video, created during the Spring 2016 Semester by our RA Staff:
Keys to Preventing Fires and Fire Alarms
- Know where the nearest fire extinguisher is, and how to use it.
- Never have prohibited items that are known fire hazards:
- Halogen Lights
- Hover Boards
- Wax Warmers/Burners
In the Kitchen:
- Never leave the stove unattended when cooking
- Have a box of baking soda or flour nearby to extinguish grease fires
- Identify where the Fire Extinguisher is and keep it handy whenever cooking
- Turn on the overhead hood fan to help dissipate smoke or steam
- Always open a window a little bit nearby
In the Bathroom:
- Use hairspray and other aerosols in well ventilated areas
- Use overhead fans whenever utilizing aerosols or flat irons
- Avoid large steam build ups, and if necessary, open a window to help steam dissipate.