Information for Businesses & UIS Alumni
UIS alumni and businesses are invited to attend the Student, Technology, Arts, & Research Symposium (STARS)!
- When: Thursday, April 18th, and Friday, April 19th, 2019
- Where: University of Illinois Springfield Campus (UIS Campus Maps & Visitor Parking)
- STARS Schedule
UIS has a tradition of celebrating our students’ talents. Each year, we invite our graduate and undergraduate students from all academic disciplines to showcase their scholarly and creative works at the symposium. At STARS, students experience an opportunity to professionally present their work, interact with other scholars, and engage with UIS and surrounding community members and invited speakers.
- Student researchers, under the guidance of faculty, will present at STARS in conference style format on a variety of topics related to business, the humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, and technology.
- Students of visual arts will display and discuss their projects in the STARS Art Gallery.
- Student musicians will offer live concert performances in Brookens Auditorium and in open STARS gathering spaces.
- The Department of English and Humanities will launch the annual edition of The Alchemist Review.
- The 2018 speakers are Chen Chen (award-winning author & poet) and Dr. Rashawn Ray (author and Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Maryland, College Park).
- STARS symposium general information.
With the aim to encourage more innovative activity connecting area innovators with industry leaders, we are celebrating advances in research, business solution, healthcare, agriculture, community and government solutions. Join us in watching the Start-Up Pitch Competition and listen to brilliant ideas from leading innovators and entrepreneurs.
- Date: Friday, April 6, 2018
- Time: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Location: UIS Student Union
- Registration: Event is free and open to the public. Registration Required!
- Detailed Schedule and Information
Thursday, April 5th (schedule subject to change)
|4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.||Student Oral Presentations Session & Student-Directed Play Reading
(Colleges: Liberal Arts & Sciences, Education & Human Services, Public Affairs & Administration)
|PAC C/D, G, H|
|6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Launch of The Alchemist Review||Brookens Auditorium|
|7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.||Chen Chen, Keynote Speaker||Brookens Auditorium|
|8:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.||Reception and Book Signing with Chen Chen||Brookens Auditorium|
|8:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.||Open Music Rehearsal||PAC Sangamon Auditorium|
Friday, April 6th (schedule subject to change)
|All Day||Art Exhibitions||Student Union|
|10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.||Artist Presentations & Poster Sessions (various disciplines)||Student Union|
|12:00 p.m. –
|Lunch, Reservations Required||Student Union|
|1:00 p.m. –
|Dr. Rashawn Ray, Keynote Speaker||Student Union|
|2:00 p.m. –
|Implicit Bias Workshop, Facilitator Dr. Carlee Hawkins||Student Union|
|3:00 p.m. –
|Reception with Dr. Rashawn Ray and Dr. Carlee Hawkins||Student Union|
|3:30 p.m. –
|Student Oral & Pitch Presentation Sessions, College of Business and Management||PAC C/D, H|
|5:00 p.m. –
|College of Business & Illinois Innovation Event Reception||Student Union|
|5:30 p.m. –
|UIS Illinois Capital Innovation Competition Awards Event (reservations required)||Student Union|
|7:30 p.m.||UIS Spring Music Showcase||PAC Sangamon Auditorium|
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.