How to Apply
Along with all items required by the university, the Department of Public Health requires the following for full admission:
- An earned bachelor’s degree with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- The GRE score is required for full admission to both the Master of Public Health- General and Master of Public Health- Environmental Health, programs. Applicants may submit alternate credentials in lieu of the GRE that include:
2a. Other graduate proficiency exams, such as GMAT or MCAT
2b. A post-Bachelor’s credential such as a Master’s degree
2c. A professional license or certificate that requires a bachelor’s degree for eligibility to sit for the exam. Please submit proof of the credential with your MPH program application material
3. Three letters of recommendation. Letters must be submitted, on letterhead, from employers or educators who are willing to provide a reference. Academic referrals are preferred.
4. An Academic Essay (Please note it is not a Personal Goals Statement) is included in the application form. Answer each of the following three questions with two or more paragraphs:
3a. What are the most urgent public health problems facing your community today?
3b How will a master’s degree in public health help prepare you to address these problems?
3c. Which area of public health specialization appeals most to you?
- As a narrative essay, use of the first person pronoun ‘I’ is welcomed.
- Answer each question specifically in response to the topic presented.
- The essay should have a purpose and be organized with a clear point of view.
- The language should be appropriate for an academic audience.
Additional Requirements for Master of Public Health – Environmental Health
Admission to the Master of Public Health- Environmental Health program requires 30 credit hours of natural science. If an applicant is deficient in required hours, conditional admittance can be granted at the discretion of the department. If conditionally admitted, students must complete the 30 credit hours of natural science in order to be granted full admission.
Application Due Dates: MPH accepts applications at any time.
Please Note: The deadlines for Graduate Assistant and Graduate Public Service Program Internships are March 15 for summer and fall semester admissions and the preceding October 15 for spring semester admissions. These options are for on-campus students, only.