Pi Alpha Alpha
UIS has established a chapter of the national public administration honor society—Pi Alpha Alpha. Membership initiation dues are $50.00, which includes a membership certificate and pin. Members can wear honor society awards at graduation. Interested? Read to see if you have what it takes to be a member!
Membership in PAA is limited to persons who demonstrate academic achievement in public affairs and administration program in NASPAA member schools and/or outstanding public service, and who fall within the following classes: student, alumni, faculty and honorary. All memberships are national memberships with a local chapter affiliation. All categories of membership enjoy the same rights and privileges.
The categories of membership are:
Masters Degree Student Memberships – Students may be inducted from among the master’s degree students in the department, institute, or school wherever the Pi Alpha Alpha chapter membership is based provided:
1. They have maintained a GPA of at least 3.7. A chapter may set higher GPA requirements if it chooses.
2. Master degree students must have completed at least fifty percent (50%) of the required course work at the time of application. A chapter may set a higher percent of completion if it chooses.
Doctoral Students – Doctoral students who meet the requirements for Pi Alpha Alpha masters degree student membership or who have completed all the requirements for the MPA or its equivalent, may be inducted without restriction as to number.
- Eligible students should submit honor society membership applications and checks when requested by the department (usually mid-spring). If you meet enrollment qualifications and would like to join, the membership application is here.
- The chapter constitution is available upon request.
- More information is available at the national organization’s website.
- See the national PAA Facebook page.
Each year the department selects a student who has high academic achievement and represents the spirit of the department to represent us at commencement. Recent selectees include:
Alison Storm, MPA, Class of 2018
Terri Miller, MPA, Class of 2017
Jasmine Jetton-Gonzales, MPA, Class of 2016
Sarah Mackey, DPA, Class of 2016
Manuel Talavera, MPA, Class of 2015
Mike Woods, DPA, Class of 2015
Lauren Gibson, MPA, Class of 2014
Betsy Goulet, DPA, Class of 2014
Amy Uden, MPA, Class of 2013
Matthew Montgomery, DPA, Class of 2013
Anupama Surendran, MPA, Class of 2012
Nancy Leann Huyck, DPA, Class of 2012
Judy Guenseth, MPA, Class of 2011
Barbara Ferrara, DPA, Class of 2011
Nick Conklin, MPA, Class of 2010
John Phillips, DPA, Class of 2010
Katie Miller, MPA, Class of 2009
Tosha Cantrell-Bruce, DPA, Class of 2009