Preparing for Graduation


  • Students should regularly check their progress and determine if there are any problems. You can do this by accessing the Degree Audit System for students.
  • To begin the graduation application, go to the student’s Degree Audit System. This site should produce a report on your progress and tell you what classes you have had and what you need to take in order to graduate. Contact your academic advisor if you have questions or if you see problems here.
  • Do the online graduation form. This can be found on the student self-service site that you use to register for classes. Graduate Application Instructions explain the steps necessary to complete the form. Use the “Major or Certificate 1” field to select the MPA if you are receiving the MPA degree. Use the “Major or Certificate 2” field to select the applicable certificate program.

It should be noted here that if you decide to go for a certificate that you must, at some point in your academic career and before graduation, fill out a change of curriculum. To do this, you go to the Admissions site and fill out the form. You should choose Public Administration for your first major and then for your second you will select either Certificate of Nonprofit Management, Labor Relations, Community Planning, or Public Procurement Management. You may also select from affiliated certificate programs in Geographic Information Systems, Emergency Preparedness and Homeland Security, or Human Resource Management.


Career Planning

Although not required for graduation, if you are a pre-service student, you should make an appointment with the UIS Career Services Center. This office can provide useful guidance on resume development and on interviewing techniques. The center also provides regular employment opportunity updates and schedules on-campus interviews.  Career Services can set up and maintain a placement file for you that includes your resume, transcript copies, and three letters of recommendation.  For other employment assistance, check out the MPA job bulletin board and the MPA website.

If you are a mid-career major who intends to use the MPA degree to launch a career change or geographic move, you should also consider seeking the services of the UIS Career Services Center.