Sean McCandless works as an Assistant Professor of Public Administration in the Department of Public Administration at the University of Illinois Springfield. He joined the Department in Fall 2018 after having completed a post-doctorate and PhD in Public Affairs from the School of Public Affairs at the University of Colorado Denver. He also holds an MA in Political Science and BAs in History, Political Science, and Psychology.
Sean worked for years in the Colorado Community College System helping to design accessible and socially equitable curricula. This experience helped inspire his research focus on how accountability for social equity is achieved in public agencies, or how public services become fairer in terms of access, outcomes, processes, and quality. His research resides at the intersections of law (especially constitutional and state law), public management, and politics. He is presently focusing on LGBTQ issues in public administration and public policy. He is published in Public Administration Review (PAR), Public Integrity (PI), Administrative Theory & Praxis (ATP), and several edited volumes.
Sean values being involved in the discipline. He reviews for numerous journals, including PAR, PI, ATP, and others and serves on the editorial boards of ATP and PI. Further, Sean is completing a term as Board Member of the Public Administration Theory Network and is Chair Elect of the Democracy and Social Justice Section of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA). He was an ASPA Founders’ Fellow (2016 and 2017) and ASPA International Young Scholar (2017).
Sean is willing to bet that he is the biggest Star Trek fan currently in the public administration discipline.
Office: PAC 422
- (Forthcoming). Berry-James, R., Blessett, B., Emas, R., McCandless, S.A., Nickels, A., Norman-Major, K., & Vinzant, P. Stepping up to the plate: Making social equity a priority in public administration’s troubled times. Journal of Public Affairs Education.
- (Forthcoming). McCandless, S.A., & Elias, N. Taking stock of Bostock: Implications for theory and praxis. Administrative Theory & Praxis.
- (Forthcoming) McCandless, S.A., & Zavattaro, S. Editors’ introduction: Since last we spoke…Administrative Theory & Praxis.
- (Forthcoming) McCandless, S.A., & Volger, G.M. “Habermasville”: Policy-community intersections and communicative rationality. Administration Theory & Praxis.
- (2020). Zavattaro, S., & McCandless, S.A. Editor’s introduction: Our public service manifesto during pandemic. Administrative Theory & Praxis, 42(2), 233-239.
- (2020). Johnson III, R.G., McCandless, S.A., & Renderos, H. Transgender Inmate Populations in Latin America: An Exploratory Exploration of Experiences. Public Integrity, 22(4), 330-343.
- (2020). McCandless, S.A., & Ronquillo, J.C. Social equity in professional codes of ethics. Public Integrity, 22(5), 470-484. Available online here.
- (2020). McKay, J. & McCandless, S.A. Social equity in public administration: A primer. In D. Slagle & A. Williams (Eds.), Practicum in Public Administration (pp. 157-188). San Diego, CA: Birkdale Publishers.
- (2019). Elias, R., McCandless, S.A., & Chordiya, R. Administrative decision-making amid competing public sector values: Confederate statue removal in Baltimore, Maryland. Journal of Public Affairs Education. Available here online.
- (2019). McCandless, S.A. Follett in the squad car. In M. Stout (Ed.), The future of progressivism: Applying Follettian thinking to contemporary issues (pp. 219-248). Anoka, MN: Process Century Press.
- (2019). Johnson, R.G., McCandless, S.A., & Renderos, H. An exploratory study of transgender inmate populations in Latin America. Public Integrity. DOI: 10.1080/10999922.2018.1557027 . Available here online ahead of print.
- (2018). McCandless, S.A. LGBT homeless youth and policing. Public Integrity, 20(6), 558-570.
- (2018). McCandless, S., & Hooker. J. Ally training: A model for collaboration. In W. Swan (Ed.), The Routledge Handbook of LGBTQIA Administration and Policy (pp. 366-374). New York, NY: Routledge
- (2018). McCandless, S.A. Improving community relations: How police strategies to improve accountability for social equity affect citizen perceptions. Public Integrity, 20(4), 370-385.
- (2018). McCandless, S.A. Prioritizing social equity in MPA curricula: A cross-program analysis and a case study. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 24(3), 361-379.
- (2018). McCandless, S.A., & Vogler, G.M. Managing police organizations. In A. Farazmand (Ed.), The Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer.
- (2017). McCandless, S.A. Accountability for social equity: An examination of local law enforcement agencies. In R.G. Johnson III (ed.), Social Equity in a Time of Change: A Critical 21st Century Social Movement (pp. 115-138). San Francisco: Birkdale Publishers.
- (2016). Taylor, T., & McCandless, S.A. Juvenile violence: Interventions, policies, and future directions [Chapter 14]. In C.A. Cuevas and C.M. Rennison (eds.), Wiley- Blackwell handbook on the psychology of violence (pp. 247-276). Malden, MA: Wiley Blackwell.
- (2016). Lee, J. J., & McCandless, S. Local charter school service delivery: The explanatory power of interest groups. The Social Science Journal, 53(1), 49-59.