Bob Blankenberger is an associate professor in the Public Administration Department and has been chair of the Department since August 2015. He has taught Public Policy Seminar, Capstone in Public Administration, Introduction to the Profession, Public Policy for Managers, and Program Implementation at UIS. He received his PhD in Public Policy Analysis and Administration from St. Louis University in 2005. He served as Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education at UIS during the 2016-17, and 2017-18 academic years. The AVCUE serves as a line officer intermediate between the College Deans and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost in areas of designated responsibility, including oversight of undergraduate education. Among other duties as AVCUE, he coordinated new undergraduate program approvals and reviews, furthered program and learning assessment processes, and contributed significantly to the university’s Higher Learning Commission 10-year reaccreditation. His most recent position prior to joining UIS was Deputy Director of Academic Affairs and Student Success at the Illinois Board of Higher Education. There he was responsible for oversight of new institution and degree program approval and review for Illinois postsecondary institutions, reviewed and revised administrative rules for oversight of postsecondary institutions in Illinois, developed the Illinois Articulation Major Initiative, was the Academic Affairs point person for the Board for implementation of performance funding legislation, and was co-developer of legislation to transfer authority over private business and vocational schools to the Board of Higher Education. Previous to his work at IBHE, he served in a variety of roles at Springfield College in Illinois – Benedictine University. During his time as a faculty member there he taught organizational psychology, research methods, and a variety of political science and history courses. He was chair of the Behavioral and Social Sciences Division, and also held positions as Interim Dean of Academic Affairs, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Registrar, Financial Aid Director, and Dean of Students.
Dr. Blankenberger has a variety of publications, research projects and presentations mostly related to higher education. His research has been published in Educational Researcher, Educational Policy, Community College Review, Education and Urban Society, Journal of Community College Research and Practice, Journal of General Education, Public Administration Quarterly, Journal of Public Affairs Education, and Public Voices. Citations for his recent publications are available at ORCID.
Office Phone (217) 206-8327
Office Address PAC 421
MS PAC 420
E-Mail Address: email@example.com
- (2017). Illinois’ African American and Hispanic students are significantly less likely to complete a Bachelor’s degree than their White peers. USApp-American Politics and Policy Blog. Available here.
- (2017). Blankenberger, B., McChesney, K. Y., Schnebly, S. M., Moranski, K. R., & Dell, H. Measuring racial bias and general education assessment. The Journal of General Education, 66(1), 42-59. Available here.
- (2017). Blankenberger, B., Lichtenberger, E., & Witt, M. A. Dual credit participation, college selectivity, and enhanced degree attainment. Educational Researcher 46(5), 259-263. Available here.
- (2017). Blankenberger, B., Lichtenberger, E., Witt, M. A., & Franklin, D. Diverse students, high school factors, and completion agenda goals: An analysis of the Illinois class of 2003. Education and Urban Society 49(5), 518-545. Available here.
- (2017). Bland, J. T. & Blankenberger, B. Collaboration challenges and the construction of complex data systems: Lessons from the development of the Illinois Longitudinal Data System. Public Administration Quarterly, 41(4), 695-740. Available here.
- (2016). Blankenberger, B., & Phillips, A. Implementation of performance funding in Illinois higher education: The roles of the completion agenda, budget environment, and interest group dynamics in the process. Educational Policy, 30(6), 884-915. doi: 10.1177/0895904814556748. Available here.
- (2016). Blankenberger, B. & Cantrell-Bruce, T. Nonprofit education: Evaluating and assessing the skill sets that our students learn. Journal of Nonprofit Education and Leadership, 6(3), 243-253. DOI: Available here.
- (2016). Franklin, D., & Blankenberger, B. Program evaluation of community college learning assistance centers: What do LAC directors think? Community College Review, 44(1) 3-25. DOI: 10.1177/0091552115609998. Available here.
- (2015). Cantrell-Bruce, T. & Blankenberger, B. Seeing clearly: Measuring skill sets that address the “blurred boundaries” of nonprofit education. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 21(3), 367-380. Available here (PDF).