- Pull fire alarm. Evacuate and close doors as you go without locking them.
- Evacuate building using the most direct route and nearest exit.
- Do not use elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 150 yards away from the affected building. Keep the walkways clear for emergency vehicles. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the UIS Police Department.
- Notify emergency personnel of persons with disabilities who are in the building and need help to evacuate.
- Notify UIS Police Department concerning any special circumstances such as failure of the staff to evacuate persons with disabilities. This information will be forwarded to the Springfield Fire Department.
- Should you become trapped in the building, dial 6-7777 or 911, if possible, to inform UISPD of your location. If a window is available, attempt to attract the attention of UIS Police or emergency response personnel.