Crime Prevention and Resources
If you are a victim or witness a crime:
Report the incident to the UIS Police 206-7777 (or 6-7777 from a campus phone). If you observe a perpetrator commit a crime, do not block their avenue of escape. Instead, get a good description of the perpetrator, direction of travel, and any pertinent vehicle information (make, model, color, and license plate number). Do not follow the perpetrator. Let the perpetrator leave the scene. If followed, the perpetrator may panic and cause you harm.
Personal Safety Tips:
- Add the UIS Police Emergency Number, 217-206-7777 to your cellular phone directory.
- Lock your room door whenever you leave, even if it’s for a short time. Also be sure to lock your door when you will be showering or sleeping.
- Never prop open exterior doors. If you see a door propped, close it.
- Don’t allow people you do not know to “Tailgate” behind you into a residential area.
- Never leave your laptop computer, textbooks, cellular phone, backpack, purse or other valuables unattended or out of your sight.
- Avoid walking or jogging alone and never walk or jog alone after dark. Always choose a well-lit path and avoid dark and isolated areas.
- Be Alert, and always be aware of what is going on around you.
- Trust your instincts; if it doesn’t feel safe, it probably isn’t. Move to a safe place immediately and call for help.
- Do not leave expensive property such as a GPS, purse or cell phone in plain view in your Lock them in your trunk or take them with you.
- If you see a suspicious person or someone you don’t believe should be in the area, call the Police.
- Emergency: UIS Police 206-7777 or 911
Emergency (From a campus phone): UIS Police 6-7777 or 911
- Police Non-emergency: 206-6690
Police Non-emergency (From a campus phone) : 6-6690
The UIS Police Department offers other services to the Campus Community such as:
- Code Blue Emergency phones
- Escort Service to ensure safety when walking on campus
- Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) classes
- Crime statistics and other resources can be found on our website.