The UIC College of Nursing accepts prerequisite course work from accredited colleges and universities. The first step is an evaluation of your unofficial transcripts from each college and/or institution you have attended. This evaluation will determine your application eligibility and/or additional courses needed to meet requirements. Prospective students are encouraged to send a copy of their unofficial transcripts to Monique Williams, UIC Program Advisor for an official evaluation of transferable credits. You may also fax a copy of your transcripts to 217-206-6123.
While the UIC College of Nursing does not admit first year students directly into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, applicants seeking admission into the UIS as freshmen are encouraged to apply to the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS) as a pre-nursing major. With a pre-nursing educational goal, you will receive advising from a staff of pre-health advisors in LAS for completion of the UIS pre-nursing prerequisite course work.
|UIC Nursing Requirements – Science|
|General Chemistry (lab required)||4-5 hours|
|Organic / Bio Chemistry (lab required)||3-5 hours|
|Anatomy & Physiology I, II (lab required)||8-10 hours|
|UIC Nursing Requirements – Liberal Arts|
|Lifespan Development||3 hours|
|Human Nutrition||2-3 hours|
|Upper Division Elective**||3 hours|
|UIC General Education Requirements|
|English Composition I, II||6 hours|
|Understanding the Past*||3 hours|
|Understanding the Creative Arts*||3 hours|
|Exploring World Cultures*||3 hours|
|Individual & Society (Introduction to Psychology)||3 hours|
|United States Society (Introduction to Sociology)||3 hours|
|Total Minimum Hours||57 hours|
- An application for admission may be submitted while course work is in progress. However, all prerequisite course work must be complete by the end of the Spring semester with a grade of ‘C’ or better.
- The five prerequisite science courses must have been completed within seven years of starting the BSN program.
- An applicant must have all BSN prerequisite courses completed by the end of the Spring semester before the start of the program.
- Selected applicants may be called in to interview with faculty, after the application deadline. Only applicants who meet the minimum application requirements, and complete the entire application process before the application deadline of January 15th, will be contacted for an interview. Prerequisite courses can be completed at any accredited college or university (including community colleges).
* UIC students can consult the UIC Catalog for approved courses in each category. Non-UIC, please see Transfer Tool Information below.
** Upper Division Elective: Students may choose a course from one of these categories: physical sciences, life sciences, mathematical sciences, social sciences, fine arts, performing arts, or humanities. Must be 200 level or above at a 4 year college or university. Though the requirement may be completed after entry to the program, it is very highly recommended that students complete an upper division elective with other pre-requisite courses prior to enrollment.
*** The number of elective hours will vary according to the number needed to total 57 credit hours after all prerequisite requirements have been met.
Please utilize Transferology – an online tool that will help you view program requirements, course equivalencies, and see how courses you have taken or plan to take transfer to UIC and the College of Nursing.