About the Program
The UIS MLS Program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, Phone 773-714-8880.
MLS Program Mission Statement:
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science Program at the University of Illinois Springfield is to offer a premier educational experience through student-centered teaching, experiential learning, professional service, and community engagement to develop responsible, scrupulous, competent professionals who will meaningfully contribute to laboratory medicine.
MLS Program Goals:
- Graduate knowledgeable, skilled, quality-focused, adaptable, and communicative professionals.
- Cultivate research, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Inspire lifelong learning and professional community engagement.
- Promote integrity, ethical behavior, and leadership.
- Nurture community partnerships.
MLS Student Learning Outcomes:
The MLS curriculum is designed to provide a variety of learning experiences that will enable students to develop critical thinking skills and become responsible, competent, entry-level professionals in medical laboratory science.
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Perform laboratory tests accurately and efficiently, maintain and troubleshoot commonly used methods and automated instruments.
- Possesses the entry level competencies necessary to perform the full range of clinical laboratory test in areas such as Clinical Chemistry, Hematology/Hemostasis, Immunology, Immuohematology/Transfusion Medicine, Microbiology, Urine and Body Fluid Analysis and Laboratory Operations, and other emerging diagnostics.
- Evaluate laboratory test results for correlation with clinical conditions, suggest additional testing, and resolve pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical problems.
- Demonstrate competency in the principles and practices of clinical study design, implementation and dissemination of results in order to apply evidence-based research into clinical practice.
- Apply ethical, safety, and governmental regulations and standards to the practice of medical laboratory science.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in order to serve the needs of patients, the public, and members of the health care team from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrate administrative skills consistent with principles and practices of administration and supervision as applied to medical laboratory science, including quality management.
- Exhibit principles and practices of professional conduct and demonstrate readiness to engage in life-long learning through continuing professional development, scholarship, service, and participation in professional organizations.
- Demonstrate educational methodologies and terminology sufficient to train/educate users and providers of laboratory services.
- Discuss research as a process of inquiry and critical thinking; identify and evaluate suitable sources; conduct searches strategically; use and communicate information appropriately; and recognize that information has value.
MLS Program Outcome Measures:
- External certification results (2017, 2018, and 2019)
Graduates pass the ASCP-BOC exam within the first year of graduation.
UIS MLS certification rate: 91%
National certification rate: 80%
NAACLS benchmark: 75%
- Graduation rate (2017, 2018, and 2019)
Students who have begun the final half of the program go on to successfully graduate from the program.
UIS MLS graduation rate: 100%
NAACLS benchmark: 70%
- Placement rate (2016, 2017, and 2018)
Graduates either find employment in the field or a closely related field (for those who seek employment) or continue their education within one year of graduation.
UIS MLS placement rate: 100%
NAACLS benchmark: 70%
- Attrition rate (2017, 2018, and 2019)
UIS MLS attrition rate: 0%
NAACLS benchmark: N/A
The University of Illinois Springfield is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. Learn about the The University of Illinois System SARA compliance, including state licensing and complaint information.