About the Program
The UIS CLS Program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, Phone 773-714-8880.
Medical Laboratory Science
Medical Laboratory Science, provides exciting opportunities for individuals with an interest in science who wish to pursue a career in a medical laboratory science or other health/medical profession or laboratory-related field. Graduates have also gone on to Pre-Professional (MD, PA, Path Asst, etc.) programs. Please explore this website for more information about MLS. The MLS Program is in the Department of Allied Health.
As a vital member of the health care team, the medical laboratory scientist works closely with pathologists and other physicians to uncover clues to health and disease.
Careers in Medical Laboratory Science require individuals with certain common characteristics. Among these are:
- A strong desire to help others,
- The curiosity in and ability to solve problems,
- The drive to pursue challenges and responsibility,
- Strong interest and ability in clinical laboratory procedures, and
- A high degree of commitment to their profession.
- Prepare students for entry-level employment as medical laboratory scientists
- Prepare students with science, medical and laboratory knowledge to position them to deal with changes in the profession.
- Provide graduates for the Illinois health care workforce.
The Allied Health department at UIS offers the Bachelor of Science degree to students interested in medical careers, laboratory careers, and science careers. The MLS Mission Statement can be found in the MLS Student Handbook.
Program Outcomes (calculated using NAACLS formulas, July 1, 2016-June 30, 2019 for graduation and attrition rates, July 1, 2015-June 30, 2018 for job placement and certification pass rate ):
- 100% job placement for the past 3 years for those graduates seeking employment in the medical laboratory profession or further education
- 91% pass rate on the ASCP Board of Certification examination for Medical Laboratory Science for the past 3 years at one-year post graduation
- 100% graduation rate and 0% attrition rate for the past 3 years (number who graduated in CLS who started the last half of the CLS Program)
The University of Illinois Springfield is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. Learn about the The University of Illinois System SARA compliance, including state licensing and complaint information.