This certificate is available on campus.
The purpose of the Graduate Certificate in Applied Finance is to provide financial service professionals or graduate students aspiring to pursue careers in financial institutions and/or financial management units within for-profit or non-profit organizations, mainly in the Central Illinois area, with knowledge of the managerial aspects of institutional/personal finance. The graduate-level analytical skills of financial planning, budgeting and risk management are the core areas of knowledge to be covered.
The certificate will focus on the delivery of courses in the area of financial management that will help students develop their knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Knowledge on the history, evolution and the basic concepts central to the financial service industry, financial market environment, and professional ethics.
- Knowledge of regulatory issues in the financial environment.
- Knowledge of the design and decision-making of financial operations, capital budgeting and planning, and risk management.
Entrance and Course Requirements
Students who have already been admitted into a UIS graduate degree program will automatically be admitted in the the certificate program upon receipt of the degree-seeking application and fee (with the certificate also designated), or a Change of Curriculum Form found at: http://www.uis.edu/registration/forms/.
Applicants not currently admitted into a UIS graduate degree program must provide the following:
- A graduate non-degree seeking application (with the certificate designated); and
- Official undergraduate transcript(s) with degree documentation and any prerequisite documentation.
Candidates for the certificate will be expected to complete course requirements with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
|Prerequisite Requirements 1|
|ACC 311||Administrative Uses of Accounting||4|
|ECO 315||Economics for Administration||4|
|Total Prerequisite Hours||8|
|BUS 502||Managerial Finance||3|
|BUS 510||Topics In Finance||3|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
Another BUS/MGT 500-level course approved by advisor 2
|Total Required Courses Hours||12|
Prerequisites may be completed previously or concurrently with starting certificate course work. Each prerequisite must be completed with a C- or better. Any prerequisite exceptions must have instructor approval.
This course must be documented with a Student Petition.