Graduate Overview

(Online Only)

The M.A. in Education is designed to meet the professional growth and professional development needs of educators. The M.A. in Education is designed specifically for teachers who wish to assume leadership roles within and beyond the classroom but who are not interested in obtaining a principal endorsement. It is conducted entirely online and is characterized by lectures, text reading, discussions, and projects, with emphasis on reflection, application, and writing. Courses include studies in teaching, leadership, research, curriculum/instruction, methodology, best practices, school improvement, technology use, and a master’s closure project. M.A. in Education courses meet the requirement for teacher certificate renewal. The master’s degree requires the completion of 40 semester credit hours of course work.

The curriculum provides an opportunity to obtain the M.A. in Educational Leadership, as well as a pathway to fulfill state requirements for the principal endorsement. The master’s degree requires the completion of 36 semester hours of EDL courses.


Advising is conducted by the M.A. in Education Coordinator in consultation with the department chair. Initial advising must be completed by the end of the student’s first semester. The M.A. in Education Coordinator assists the student in planning his/her program of studies and refers students to the Career Development Center at for career planning.  See for further details.

Continuous Enrollment

If EDL 586 is not completed during initial enrollment, students must register for EDL 598 for zero credit hours (one billable hour) during all fall and spring semesters until the project is completed.

Grading Policy

A passing grade in an EDL course is considered to be B or above. A failing grade is given for work below that level. A maximum of eight hours of C (2.0) grades is applicable to the degree (grades of C- or lower are not accepted), provided that a minimum GPA of 3.0 is reached at time of graduation and an approved Student Petition is on file in the Office of Records and Registration.

NOTE: Students also should refer to the campus policy on Grades Acceptable Toward Master’s Degrees section of this catalog.