Renew items from Brookens or I-Share by logging in to My Library Account.
Renew interlibrary loan items by logging in to My ILL.
Unable to renew an item:
You may be unable to renew an item for a few reasons:
- The item’s loan period does not include renewals
- You have already used your allotted number of renewals for an item
- The item has been recalled for use in class by a faculty member, or from its home library in the case of I-Share items.
Books from Brookens
You can request books from Brookens to be pulled and placed on hold for you at the front desk. Requests are typically available within 24 hours. Requests can be placed using My Library Account.
Books from I-Share
If the book you are looking for is not owned by Brookens, or is currently checked-out, you can search for it in the I-Share system. If available, you can place requests for library materials from an I-Share library using My Library Account. You will receive an email when your items are available for pick-up at the Brookens Library main desk. The loan period for I-Share materials is 4 weeks with 3 renewals.
You can also visit one of the 80+ I-Share libraries and check out books in-person using your UIS i-card.
Books not available from Brookens or I-Share – Interlibrary Loan Books
If the book you are looking for is not available from Brookens or any I-Share library, you can place a request using My ILL.
Alumni of UIS or SSU are eligible for an Alumni Library Card. To obtain an Alumni Borrower Card, please submit a request for a Library Card Form.
Alumni may check out Brookens books for 4 weeks and DVDs or Videos (1 at a time) for 1 week.
We cannot offer I-Share or Interlibrary loan services to alumni.
Brookens Library and the University of Illinois' Library System are pleased to work with the University of Illinois Alumni Association (UIAA). Alumni privileges include:
- Borrowing materials (Books, Audio Books, DVDs)
- On-campus Access to online databases
- Reference Services
- Public Computers
To obtain an Alumni Borrowers Card, please request a library card. If you are unable to access this form, please visit the Brookens Library Main Desk, email us, or contact us at 217-206-6605 for additional information.
Members of the Springfield community who hold a current Lincoln Library card can request a Lincoln Library Reciprocal Borrower card from Brookens Library by filling out the Request for Library Card Form. Reciprocal Borrowers can checkout Brookens books and audiobooks for 4 weeks.
Community members are invited to visit Brookens Library during its regularly scheduled hours and to attend special events hosted by the Library. Below are the resources and services available to community members.
- Public Computers
- Variety of Special Borrowers Cards: Alumni, Friends of the Library, Lincoln Library Reciprocal. Request one using this form.
- Reference Services (Research assistance)
Friends of Brookens
Members of the Friends of Brookens Library receive a library card as part of their membership. Friends may check out Brookens books for 4 weeks and DVDs or Videos (1 at a time) for 1 week.
For more information about becoming a Friend of Brookens Library, visit our site here.
The Friends of Brookens Library is a support group for the library. It was formed with two major goals in mind:
- To foster greater community awareness and use of the resources of Brookens Library at the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- To support the development of collections and services in Brookens Library.
Since the time of its founding, the Friends of Brookens Library has also played an important role in helping the library to provide exceptional programming for the greater Springfield community.
Members receive the following benefits:
- Local borrowing privileges at Brookens Library
- Invitations to lectures and programs sponsored by the library and the Friends of Brookens Library
- A newsletter on library-related developments
Community Member: $50
Faculty & Staff: $25
Current UIS Students: $5