Gifted Learner Microcredential
Knowing the Gifted Learner is a 30-week, self-paced, five-module course that provides K-12 educators licensed in Illinois a foundational understanding in teaching and leading advanced learners.
The course is framed by the seven Teacher Preparation Standards from the National Association for Gifted Children. Social emotional learning topics are also covered.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will earn 96 Professional Development hours, a digital badge from UIS/ISBE, and the microcredential will be included on their Illinois Professional Educator License. The microcredential will appear in the designations area of Illinois Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
The educational goals of this course include:
- Consider the role of educators in the learning of the gifted student
- Review and analyze resources, equity, advocating, and differentiation as it applies to the instruction of gifted students
Course Topics and Assessments
Participants will be graded on a credit or no credit basis. Students must complete each of the 28 assessments at 80% or greater proficiency to pass the course. Course topics are:
- Module 1 Foundations of the Gifted Learner, 4 weeks
- Module 2 Quality and Identification of Gifted Students, 8 weeks
- Module 3 Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Children, 8 weeks
- Module 4 Differentiation and Curriculum Models for the Gifted Student, 8 weeks
- Module 5 Advocacy for Gifted Education, 2 weeks
Schedule, Registration and Course Fees
The cost of the self-paced course is $900. Registration is open through March 31, 2020. Students may register for Knowing the Gifted Learner online. Students new to the UIS Continuing and Professional Education Program will need to first create an account.
The course will begin Monday, April 6, 2020 and end Saturday, October 31, 2020. Students may complete the coursework on their own schedule. A suggested course calendar is provided.
Illinois State Board of Education Scholarship
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is taking applications for a scholarship to complete the UIS and ISBE Gifted Education microcredential. Please see the Gifted Microcredential Flyer and ISBE Gifted Scholarship Application for more information.