Transfer In: F-1 Visa Students transferring from another institution within the United States to UIS
- Please notify your previous school that you have been accepted for admission at UIS and provide the DSO there with a copy of your admission letter. Ask the DSO to transfer your SEVIS record to UIS, and request that the release date for your record be immediate. If you are currently on OPT, you will want to postpone the release date until you have completed your work, but the record must be transferred when you begin your new program.
- Report to the UIS Office of International Student Services within 15 days of the beginning of attendance at UIS for school transfer processing. Bring with you all your travel documents: passport, visa, form I-94, and transfer I-20.
Visa information for Transfer students
If you already possess an F-1 student visa and are in good visa standing at your current school, you can have your visa transferred to UIS. You must begin your classes or program within five months of transferring out of your current school, completing your program or the end date of your Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment, whichever comes earlier. If you do not meet this requirement, you can depart the country and return as a new F-1 nonimmigrant.
International travel is not advised during the visa transfer process. Please do not travel abroad until your visa has been transferred to UIS and you have been issued your new I-20 document.
Please keep in mind that you should notify both your present school and UIS of your intent to transfer as soon as possible to ensure that the transfer process goes smoothly. These are the steps you will want to follow:
- Notify your present school of your intent to transfer. You may need to present your UIS admission letter at the time of notification.
- Ask your current advisor to process the transfer in SEVIS on the release date that you have agreed upon.
- After the release date has passed, UIS will issue a new initial I-20 for you. Please sign this document as soon as you receive it. If you do not receive your new I-20 please contact our office immediately.
- When you are officially registered for classes at UIS, the International Student Advisor will update your SEVIS Record.
Remember: keep all outdated I-20s for your records.
Transfer Out: F-1 Visa Students leaving UIS to attend another institution within the United States
International students that plan to transfer out to another U.S. institution must complete the Transfer Out Form, in order to transfer their SEVIS record. Please include a copy of the admission letter to your new university with this form. In addition, students that have never attended UIS (only entered the U.S. on an I-20 issued by UIS) will also need to submit a copy of their visa, passport, and most recent I-94. All documents must be submitted together in order for your SEVIS record to be transferred. Email all documents to ISS@uis.edu.