Travel Signature

Current UIS Students

Are you planning to travel outside the U.S.?  If so, please check your Form I-20.  Remember, the travel endorsement is good for one year.  If you need a new travel signature, you will need to bring your I-20 and passport to the ISS Office during Walk-In Hours:  Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 2:00pm to 4:00pm and Wednesday from 9:30am to 11:30am.  We will provide you with a pink travel slip to fill out and you will be able to obtain a travel signature that same day.  Please remember to request a signature at least 2 weeks prior to your planned travel.

We understand that students may have concerns about how the new U.S. presidential administration will impact immigration laws.  When traveling outside the U.S., be prepared for more questions, longer lines, and additional wait times going through customs.  Make sure that you travel with all required documents and review travel information on the ISS website prior to departure.  Also, please review the Travel Policy for Returning Students.  We are happy to discuss any concerns that you have during Walk-In Hours and provide travel advice.

Walk-In Hours:

Monday – 2:00 to 4:00pm

Tuesday – 2:00 to 4:00pm

Wednesday – 9:30 to 11:30am

Thursday – 2:00 to 4:00pm


Human Resource Building (HRB) Room 10

International Student Services

OPT Students

If on OPT, a student who has a valid EAD, accurate information in SEVIS, and a job should not experience difficulty reentering the United States. Students participating in the STEM extension may travel even if they have not yet received their new EAD cards, but they must carry the receipt notice. Before traveling while on OPT, please contact the ISS Office to ensure that your address and employer details are updated in SEVIS.

When traveling on OPT, you must carry the following documents along with your normal travel documents:

  • Form I-20 with travel endorsement less than 6 months prior to the date of return into the U.S.
  • valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Letter from your employer stating the date the student is expected to return to work

If you require a travel endorsement on your Form I-20, and you are no longer living in the Springfield area, you may mail your I-20 to:

International Student Services

One University Plaza, HRB 10

Springfield, IL  62703

Once we have verified that your SEVIS record is up-to-date, we will sign your I-20 and mail it back to you.  You may request normal mail or pay for express shipping.