If you are able to own a car, then you must apply for an Illinois driver’s license. Before you can drive, you are required by law to purchase automobile insurance and you must also purchase license plates. Please see the following websites for more information:
- ISS Driver’s License Information
- Illinois Driver’s License Information
- The Office of International Student Services has Rules of the Road books available for you to use to prepare for getting your driver’s license. Please stop by our office to get one.
Campus Recreation offers the use of free bicycles to students. “Star Bikes” can be checked out for five days at a time at the front desk of TRAC to run errands, get to class, or just for fun. Locks and helmets are provided at no charge.
SMTD (Springfield Mass Transit District) is a bus service with routes throughout the Springfield area. SMTD offers routes to and from the UIS campus. You may stop by the Office of International Student Services for a current bus map. You may also view their website for routes, services, and other information.
In addition, Student Life provides detailed bus route information specific to our UIS students including routes to popular locations and local venues, prices, and discount pass information.
- Lincoln Yellow Cab: (217) 280-8762
- Springfield Yellow Cab Inc: (217) 544-1111
- Gracious Cab Service: (217) 685-9900
- Gracious Cab provides low cab rates for UIS students
The UIS Student Affairs Division has several Transportation Programs, including shopping shuttles, rides to and from Springfield’s Amtrak station, as well as urgent care transportation for non-emergency needs. Visit this site directly for updated schedules of these transportation offerings.