H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is a visa used by a temporary worker. You must have at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify, but typically will need a master’s or Ph.D. depending upon the relevant position. The visa is specific to a position. Application is made by the employer and not the individual.

Application requires an approved Labor Condition Application from the Department of Labor with a favorable prevailing wage determination from the State Employment Service. It is valid for up to six years (two 3 – year periods). This visa can take up to four months to obtain. Dependents of H1 visa holders on H4 visas are not eligible to work under any circumstances.

For more information on the H-1B visa, please reference the following links: