The Office of International Student Services (ISS) serves the UIS community by assisting international students, faculty and staff in understanding and complying with US immigration laws and regulations.
We are dedicated to helping international students at the University of Illinois Springfield. The staff is available to guide students on immigration matters (visa document questions, government paperwork, work authorization processes), to present orientation and special programs, to help with planning, promoting and presenting social events, and to provide cross-cultural counseling and academic and financial advising.
- Advises international students, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with US immigration laws and regulations
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits student status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the US Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to US society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes forms I-20, travel signatures, employment requests, and advises on maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students and UIS departments
Designated School Official (DSO)
At schools authorized to receive international students, Designated School Officials are chosen by the school as official representatives to the US government and authorized by the government to issue F-1 class non-immigrant student visa-related documents. Schools may name up to ten DSOs. UIS has named:
- Rick Lane, firstname.lastname@example.org (PDSO)
- Rachael Matingi, email@example.com
- Tracy Rakes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joel Short, email@example.com
- Jolene Vollmer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Each government-approved school must choose one DSO who will be responsible for all the DSOs at the school, who will maintain the official government records for international students, and who is authorized to make changes in the DSO team. At UIS the PDSO is Rick Lane.