The Office of International Student Services serves the UIS community by assisting international students, faculty and staff in understanding and complying with US immigration laws and regulations. The Office of International Student Services is dedicated to helping international students at the University of Illinois at Springfield. The staff is available to guide students on immigration matters (visa document questions and all other governmental paperwork, work authorization process), to present orientation and special programs, to help with planning, promoting and presenting social events, and to provide cross-cultural counseling and academic and financial advising.
- Advises international students, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits student status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes forms I-20, travel signatures, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students and UIS departments
The Office of International Student Services fully supports and subscribes to the Code of Ethics of NAFSA: Association of International Educators and follows this code in all our policies and practices.
Designated School Official (DSO)
At schools authorized to receive international students, one or more Designated School Officials are chosen by the school as official representatives to the U. S. government and authorized by the government to issue F-1 class non-immigrant student visa-related documents. Schools may name up to ten DSOs. UIS has named:
- Rick Lane, firstname.lastname@example.org (PDSO)
- Rachael Matingi, email@example.com
- Tracy Rakes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joel Short, email@example.com
- Jolene Vollmer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Each government-approved school must choose one DSO who will be responsible for all the DSOs at the school, who will maintain the official government records for international students, and who is authorized to make changes in the DSO team. At UIS the PDSO is Rick Lane.