Lecture Capture System
What is the Lecture Capture System?
The Information Technology Services department at UIS provides a lecture capture system to be used on or off campus allowing you to record whatever is displayed on the computer screen along with your audio and video.
Note: Capture Space Lite was retired at the end of the Spring 2019 semester. Our new Lecture Capture tool is Kaltura Personal Capture. This tool is to be used for all lecture captures. (All previously recorded Capture Space Lite videos will still be available.)
Kaltura Personal Capture
Kaltura Personal Capture is a program that makes it easy for users to create and upload videos to Kaltura through our Learning Management System [Canvas] or through UIS MediaSpace, available for Windows or Mac. Recorded videos can be a combination of webcams and/or screen recordings.
Videos that are recorded using the Kaltura Personal Capture are available in My Media through our Learning Management System [Canvas] upon uploading. The videos may not be ready immediately after upload, but they will be quickly. If you need to clip or trim your video you can do that through My Media by selecting the video you want to edit and choose the Edit Video option to the right of the video.
Requesting and Editing Captions [Article]
iPad Screen Recording
- Go to Settings > Control Center, then tap the Insert button next to Screen Recording.
- Open Control Center [Swipe down from the top right corner of the screen], tap the Screen Recording button , then wait for the three-second countdown.
- To capture audio, open Control Center and long-press on the Screen Recording button . A new menu will show up, with a toggle to turn your microphone on at the bottom. Tap on the Microphone Audio button, it will turn red, and then select Start Recording.
- To stop recording, open Control Center, tap the Selected Screen Recording button or the red status bar at the top of the screen, then tap Stop.
- Go to Photos , then select your screen recording.
After you have done the recording you can go to your My Media in Safari on your iPad, login to Canvas, go to a course, then to My Media and choose Add New. Here you will select Media Upload click the Choose a file to upload button and choose Photo Library. Here you can locate your screen recording and upload it to Kaltura.
Chromebook Screen Capture
Kaltura Capture is not compatible with Chromebooks. For Chromebook users, you may use a free screencasting app like Screencastify (which lets you record up to 5 minutes for free)
Or you can use Screen-o-matic, which lets you record for up to 15 minutes. I’m a big fan of this one too!