Information Technology Technical Associate
Application Close Date (Deadline to Apply): March 09, 2020
Transcript Submission Deadline: March 19, 2020
Minimum Starting Salary: $22.83 per hour
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer; persons with disabilities, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
UIS employment in this role is not covered by Social Security, and instead, is covered by the State Universities Retirement System.
- You don’t pay Social Security taxes and your earnings won’t be on your Social Security record. (Your record will, however, show your Medicare wages.)
- Your pension from the State Universities Retirement System may affect the amount of your
NOTICE OF POSITION WORK SCHEDULE: Afternoons/evenings, for example, Monday – Thursday, Noon to 9:00 pm and Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Position to service evening classes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the technical and operational oversight of learning spaces to meet the technological and educational demands of the university.
- Install, configure, and upgrade networked workstations and peripherals using established procedures.
- Maintain and support classroom technologies.
- Develop and maintain network-related configurations for workstations and servers. Update and monitor configurations to provide optimal quality to end users.
- Configure, update, and implement operating system images over the network, using SCCM and other imaging software on Mac and Windows platforms.
- Maintain software inventories.
- Participate in the overall coordination of the labs and classrooms as a member of an integrated and mutually supportive team.
- Provide second-level technical expertise to the UIS Campus Community to resolve more complex network, operating system, and application questions and problems.
- Work with faculty and staff in the planning, preparation, and use of learning spaces technologies.
- Explore and test innovative approaches to teaching and learning through the use of educational technologies. Research, evaluate, and assist in the selection, sourcing, and purchasing of software, hardware, and equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
Credentials to be verified:
Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
- Progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related setting
- College course work, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one year
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two years
Note: As required by the position to be filled, additional education, training, and/or work experience in an area of specialization inherent in the position may be necessary in meeting credential requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of creating and deploying Mac & PC desktop images over a network.
- Knowledge of software installation & support of software.
Position requires knowledge of campus technologies and instructional pedagogies. Strong customer service skills accompanied by excellent communication skills are required to meet the needs of the lab and classroom clientele. Organizational and troubleshooting skills are essential, as is the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects, while continuing to provide effective assistance and support to ensure daily operational needs are met.
Position interacts with University and departmental faculty/staff/students and other internal/external constituencies to obtain/provide information to facilitate operations and services administered by the department. Communication is accomplished via phone, in-person, and electronic communications. Strong interpersonal skills and a professional decorum are required to fulfill all assigned duties and responsibilities that serve to meet the highest standards of professionalism established by the University and the department.
The hours for this position are afternoon/evening, for example, Monday – Thursday Noon-9pm and Friday 9am – 3pm. Work is primarily performed in an office setting, with regular occasions of walking to other classrooms, labs, and/or offices on campus to maintain equipment and provide instruction and support. Candidates should be able to lift and transport computer equipment. Applicants must be able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally and 10 to 20 pounds routinely.
How to Apply
Please create an account from the Home page of the UIS Jobs Board. Select the “Apply to Position” button at the bottom of the Information Technology Technical Associate posting to complete the required forms including the Pre-Approval, which must be submitted before 5:00 pm on the deadline of the posting. Upon approval, which can take 1-3 days to account for weekends and holidays when employees are out of office, complete the remaining forms to apply and be sure to upload any documents noted as required in the posting.
Select the “Apply to Position” button at the bottom of the Information Technology Technical Associate posting, complete the required forms to apply and be sure to upload any documents noted as required in the posting. Note: if you have previously applied for positions before March 1st 2019, you will have to complete and submit another Pre-Approval form. Please read directions under “New Applicants” above.
General Application Information
To properly evaluate your qualifications for this position, your online application must include a complete employment history detailing duties, education and certifications. Note that a resume cannot substitute for the information required on the official application form. Education requirement will be verified by submitted transcript(s).
College Transcripts and Veteran’s Preference Eligibility
College transcripts and military discharge documentation (DD214, DD215, and NGB22) must be uploaded with the online application. Human Resources will not accept faxed, emailed, or hand delivered documentation to our office.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS: March 19, 2020
Failure to list or accurately describe work experience, or failure to submit college transcripts may result in an applicant not being admitted to the exam.
For full consideration, applicants must be residents of the State of Illinois.