The Illinois Legislative Process: The Basics and Beyond
The Illinois Legislative Process: One Step at a Time is a day-long workshop on how law gets made in Illinois and how to work effectively in and around the General Assembly. The staff of the Institute for Legal, Legislative and Policy Studies will provide basic information on Illinois politics and how a bill beomes a law, accented with the legislative experience of lobbyists, legislative staff, and legislators.
What Will You Learn
This workshop will give you basic, vital information on lawmaking in Illinois. Whether you are a new lobbyist, a nonprofit group leader, a local government official, or a citizen, this is information you must know to understand and work with the General Assembly.
Who Should Attend
- Those who need to know how the Illinois General Assembly works and how to make the legislative process work for you
- Prospective lobbyists and governmental affairs representatives and support staff
- Advocates in the not-for-profit and local government sectors
- Interested citizens
- Christopher Z. Mooney, Professor of Political Science at University of Illinois – Springfield
- Barbara Van Dyke-Brown, Director of Legislative Internships and Advocacy Programs at University of Illinois – Springfield
- Senator Deanna Demuzio, State Senator
- Jay D. Shattuck, Shattuck & Associates Consulting, Inc.
- Kurt DeWeese, retired House Democrat Staff
- Karla Kunzeman, retired Legislative Liaison, Illinois Arts Council
- Representative Jim Watson, State Representative
- Paula Johnson Purdue, Contract Lobbyist
- Joyce A. Nardulli, Illinois Bankers Association
- Paul L. Williams, Law Offices of Paul L. Williams
January 22, 2010 – 8:30am – 3:30pm
Public Affairs Center, Conference Room C/D
University of Illinois Springfield
Barbara Van Dyke-Brown
(217) 206-6579 or email@example.com
Participants will receive a complimentary copies of Lobbying Illinois: How You Can Make A Difference In Public Policy and The Illinois Governors: Mostly Good and Competent, along with a one year subscription to Illinois Issues including the 2010 Roster of State Government Officials.