Frequently Asked Questions

Current Students

Can I change my concentration?

Yes, but consult with your advisor before you make a change of concentration.

Can I add a second concentration?

Yes, but we recommend that you have a significant focus on your primary concentration.

What classes are offered online?

All core classes are offered online each fall and spring semester.  All of the Social Service Administration concentration classes are currently offered online.

What classes are offered in a blended format?

A blended format class is where the majority of the class sessions are online, with the benefit of the remaining class sessions being conducted on campus. Child and Family, Alcohol and Substance Abuse, and Gerontology offer their concentration-specific classes in a blended format. All of the core classes are offered online. For more specific information on the blended format, contact

Who is my advisor?

Your advisor is a faculty person in your concentration. You are assigned this individual at the time of admission.

What do I need to do if I was conditionally admitted?

If you still needed to complete a prerequisite when admitted, there is a 12 month deadline for doing so. Ensure that a transcript was sent to our Admissions department (if you took the prerequisite somewhere else) proving that it is completed, and inform your advisor so that your condition may be removed.

Prospective Student

Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)?

Admission to Human Services programs does not require this examination.

When are the classes held?

Blended classes have some on-campus sessions which are held in the evenings from 6-9:30 p.m. All classes required for the Social Service Administration concentration are online.

Is it a good idea to work and go to school?

For students who are employed full time, it is usually recommended that they take only eight hours (two classes) per semester.

How many classes should I take per semester?

Two classes is considered full-time; if you are receiving financial aid, this should meet their requirements.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Most students will be able to complete program requirements in 2 to 3 years.

How much does it cost to get a master’s in HMS?

Please refer to the University’s tuition and fees website  for details on cost per credit hour.

Ready to apply?

See links to the admissions application and other required documents on the Admission Requirements page.


Where can I do my internship?

You can do your internship at any of the 150 approved internship sites.   There is a binder on the table in front of the HMS bulletin board on the third floor of Brookens listing all the agencies that have been approved. If you know of a place that you would rather do your internship, please talk to your advisor.

Do I have to do an internship?

If you have worked full time for three or more years in a human service field that is the same discipline as your current human service concentration, you can petition to waive your internship. In lieu of the internship, you are required to take an additional 4 hour course with approval of your academic advisor.

Can I do an internship at my place of work?

Yes, you may with the approval of the internship instructor. You will do different work and projects than you do for pay to make it a learning experience for you.

How long is the internship?

Internships last either 400 or 500 hours, depending on your concentration.   If you are in the Alcohol and Substance Abuse concentration, you will complete 500 hours. All other concentrations must complete at least 400 hours.

If I have an internship, do I have to attend the internship class?

Yes, attendance is required. The class time is used to reflect on what you are learning, and sharing with other students what you have experienced.

What forms do I need to have filled out before I start my internship?

You will need a preliminary placement form, HMS internship Request for Certificate of Insurance form, Internship Contract, and Internship Application form.

Do I have to complete my internship in one semester?

Most students are able to complete their internship in one semester, but if it is necessary, additional time can be taken.

Can I do an internship at more than one place?

It is recommended that you find one place to do an internship so you get a full understanding of that facility’s process. However, if you are interested in multiple areas, you can split your time and do two internships.


What’s the difference between a Master’s Project and the Comprehensive Assessment Project (CAP)?

The Master’s Project entails scholarly research about a topic related to the student’s concentration.  The project requires that the student complete a five-chapter paper that includs an introduction, review of the literature, methods, results, and conclusion/recommendations.

The CAP is a 7-10 page paper that concisely demonstrates that you have acquired all the knowledge and skills requisite for a master’s degree in your concentration.  It includes the identification of a critical issue related to your concentration; the development of a case scenario that illustrates the critical issue; a review of the literature that substantiates the critical issue and the best-practice approach to dealing with the issue; and a goals, objectives, and interventions section.

How do I choose a critical issue?

The critical issue should be selected in collaboration with your advisor who will help you to identify a viable issue. The critical issue should be related to your concentration, and should be a topic that would allow you to demonstrate your concentration-related skills such as ethical practice, assessment, prevention, intervention, and relapse prevention.

How long does it take to complete the CAP?

The CAP is designed to be completed in one semester. It requires graduate-level writing skills, mastery of HMS course content, mastery of library research, and mastery of APA formatting. If a student struggles in any of these areas, it is possible that additional time would be required to complete the CAP.  Students are encouraged to use the Center for Teaching and Learning for support if needed.

Who is on my CAP Committee?

The CAP committee includes your advisor, who serves as the chair of the committee, and the instructor of your CAP course, HMS 585.

What happens during the CAP Committee meeting?

You will meet with the chair of your committee and the instructor of HMS 585 to review your CAP. You will give an overview of the CAP, share what you learned by doing it, and discuss how you will use what you learned in your practice.  You will respond to any questions the committee has regarding the CAP.  During the meeting your CAP will be evaluated, and you will be notified whether you need to make any revisions, and whether you will receive credit.

I live in another state and cannot afford to travel to campus to attend the CAP meeting.  What can I do?

The CAP meeting can be held in person, via the telephone, or via Skype.  Students who live away from campus will be able to defend the CAP remotely.