Secondary Education in History
The secondary education program is for students who wish to teach 9th through 12th grade social science subjects, which include History, Political Science, Sociology/Anthropology, Economics, Psychology, and Geography.
Three Routes to Teaching Licensure in Secondary Education in History
- Major in History and minor in the Secondary Education Teaching program offered by the School of Education. Complete the curriculum for both a B.A. in History and a Minor in Secondary Education.
- Major in Secondary History Education, a degree program offered by the School of Education. Students complete the curriculum for the B.A. in Secondary History Education.
- For students who already hold a B.A.: Enroll in the non-degree licensure only program for the Secondary Education History license or subsequent endorsement. Complete the curriculum for Secondary Education Licensure.
All options have similar coursework from the School of Education and all result in state licensure. For degree seeking students, the Secondary Education History degree is more streamlined, requiring fewer courses. The streamlined format enables students to graduate more quickly, but with less disciplinary training, fewer elective options, and a different major. Consequently, students pursuing licensure should think carefully about which option is most beneficial to them. Interested students should consult with a faculty member in both the Department of History and the School of Education prior to selecting an option. Students selecting the B.A. in History with a minor in Secondary Education will have a faculty advisor in both departments. Students electing to major in Secondary Education History will be assigned an academic advisor in the School of Education.
Middle Grades Education, emphasis in History
The middle grades education program is for students who wish to teach 5th through 8th grade social sciences.
Three Routes to Teaching Licensure in Middle Grades Education, emphasis in History
- Major in the B.A. in Middle Grades Education offered by the School of Education. Students complete the curriculum for a B.A. Middle Grades Education with the 5th-8th grade Social Science Endorsement.
- Add a second endorsement to an existing major that leads to initial licensure. Students seeking to add a second endorsement complete the 5th-8th grade Social Science Endorsement.
- For students who already hold a B.A.: enroll in the non-degree licensure only program for the Middle Grades Education license or subsequent endorsement. Students who already hold a bachelor’s degree complete the curriculum for the Middle Grades Teacher Licensure.